Duty loads out of a 4" barrel is one thing, conceal carry loads out of a snubby is another. All this stuff about insane flame balls that burn out retinas, singe eyebrows, and torch off trees, are about as much pulled out the rear end of a BSer as is the report will shatter windows and fracture the earth.

The standard table for loudness rates a 45acp at 157db, a 9mm para pistol at 160db, a 41 magnum pistol at 163db, and a 357mag and 44mag at 164db. All are loud and beyond the threshold of pain, which is rated at 120db. You'd likely not be able to notice a difference of around 3db. If someone cranked off a round in your direction from gun fighting distance, I seriously doubt you'd discern that decibel difference. Likely in a gunfight, auditory exclusion would kick-in.

As for muzzle flash, current LE loads have greatly improved in this regard with the use of modern low flash propellants. I just ran through a night fire course using a .357sig and a 357mag revolver, and neither resulted in night blindness.

As for revolvers, I do believe that manufacturing reports show more .357 revolvers being made now, and going back for a number of decades than any other chambering, to include 38 revolvers. As for most profitable, both 38 and 357, each, outsell 44mag ammo worldwide. Being the 357 revolver is more popular by manufacturing numbers, most of that 38 is shot through the 357. So, when you add up global sales of 38 plus 357 ammunition, it accounts for a fairly good chunk of sales profitability.

If makers were forced to dump all revolvers and all revolver ammo except for their choice of one mixed chambering. Going by the numbers of sales, they would choose the 38/357 and dump all the rest. But, I don't see the 41, 44, and 45 going away anytime soon, if ever. So certainly, the 357mag is no where even close to being on any chopping block.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood