I was shooting a LOT of .38specialin the 70's, had something to do with getting it from the S.O. at 1.50 a box. My firearms instructor had some good advice that i never forgot. He said one well aimed shot is worth ten poorly aimed shots. Now his wife used to humiliate new deputies by using a j frame to make head shots at 50yards, she good do it.
I never felt underarmed with a .357 in a one on one situation.
But conditions change. As doc rockett said, enough in there for one confrontation without reloading, but what if you have multiple armed targets.
Now we practiced even then for that situation, but semiauto and hicap mags just do give you an edge.
we use to train double hand, strong hand, weak hand, barricade left side, right side, prone, kneeling at all kinds of ranges out to about 50 yards. I was really laughing hard one day when i took the highway patrol course which is basically draw from the hip and point fire at 5 to 7 yards. Now for those tail light chasers it worked for what they generally would face. We had different situations.
I do have a friend who i have timed. from a holstered revolver, draw and fire and hit six steel plates at ten yards in 1.45seconds. He's getting to be an old guy too by the way for you young hot shot wippersnappers.
i haven't practiced it in years, and surely couldn't do it today, but long time ago i pretty much could do 12rounds on target with a model 19 in about 8 seconds. And I wasn't that good.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 09/12/14.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO