Originally Posted by gnoahhh
That is wrong on several levels. Refer to previous posts regarding the fallacy of thinning finishes in initial coats, and the fallacy of introducing any compound containing silicone (which includes ArmorAll). Rubbing out a finish with 0000 steel wool will undoubedly leave teeny bits of steel snagged in the finish- you can't see them or feel them but they're there, and you will see them when those little brown rust spots materialize on a really humid/wet day.

A little time spent analyzing old posts here will pay dividends. An evening of going back through several years worth of old posts can be time well spent and may well avoid catastrophic mistakes (and in many instances provide enough drama to satisfy any taste). Unfortunately, the average bear today can't be bothered with time consuming research- we need instant gratification to salve our lazy souls. Nor do we want to master arcane arts such as wood finishing- we seek instead the "quick fix", that may well bite us in the butt at some point down the road. Great advances have been made in the world of finishes over the last few decades, thank god. But, the one irrefutable constant is the mindset of the craftsman- one needs to adopt an attitude that allows for meticulousness in all details (including doing one's homework beforehand- research baby, research) and be prepared to devote as much time as necessary to the project. As with everything else in life, you get out of it what you put into it.

I admit I am a novice, but this is the source I found that convinced me to try this method.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=246076

I guess I should have a tack cloth to make sure the steel wool is thoroughly removed. I can't find a substitute for 0000 steel wool. What else could a guy use?

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.