Work hard for an even, lint/dust speck free finish. Then rip the hell out of it with great big scratches using steel wool. Then partially fill in the scratches with soft paste wax so it doesn't look absolutely like hell because the scratches are too big and all different sizes. eek

See, Sitka isn't the only critic here.

I believe it was Sitka who explained the method of starting with an oil modified varnish and increasing the proportion of oil as you go. That method has been around a long time. Then, when the finish is as hard as it gets rub down with pumice on felt pads, or FINE abrasive of choice. That makes uniform fine scratches in the finish which cuts the gloss to the level you like. Or you can just use Tru-Oil which is an oil modified resin. (Resin sounds better than varnish.) No point in thinning it except it's easier to get the first few applications on (brush). Yes it is more work.

The only use I've ever had for steel wool is to level a finish and that was before nonferrous alternatives.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, there is no accounting for taste. But I feel better getting that off my chest after holding back on this and the other thread. grin

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.