I must have gotten the varying proportions idea from an article in "Gunsmithing."

Newell, "Gunstock Finishing and Care," 1949, Stackpole

p. 131
Formula #5
Boiled linseed oil 4 oz.
Spar varnish 3 oz.

The two constituents are merely mixed together. Standard rubbing application, the same as for the other formulae, should be used.

The presence of spar varnish will increase the water resistance of the final film to a great extent. Inasmuch as these varnishes normally are not brittle adhesion will be satisfactory. Excellent lustre will be obtained from the use of this mixture and resistance to handling will be much greater than that of oil used alone. [Emphasis added. See "Oil Rubbing A Varnished Stock" below.]

Personally I do not see the value of using drying oils with varnishes. If you wish the lustre of the varnish then use it alone as mentioned in the chapter on varnishes. Great lustre obtained from the use of such varnishes may easily be cut down by the use of abrasives and rubbing compounds.

p.168 - This one always stuck with me, it's the process more than the materials.

I remember one of the first stocks I ever finished for anyone. I had a really good rubbed varnish finish on it and it looked like a million bucks, if I may say so. There was an overcritical lad who strayed in and saw it and he let me know that "that sure looks a lot better than those *'$%&# varnished stocks you had in here a while back. What have you got on that one, anyway?" At that point I casually mentioned something about a "special resin solution" and let it go at that.

p. 174

Oil Rubbing A Varnished Stock

Maybe some of you want the old Dull London Oil Finish which has been so long admired and so seldom produced. This can be effected over the fine, durable varnish base by actually using oil... We built up our primary film when we built up the varnish coating on the wood.

Once you have gotten this builtup varnish base take a boiled linseed oil and spread a little on the stock. Then, using the palm of your hand, really go after it. Rub as hard and as fast as you can. Spread the oil completely over the stock in a very thin film until the film is so warm and thin that it seems almost dry. You will not need more than about ten drops of the oil to completely cover the stock. Set the stock away in a fairly warm place for 36 hours, or until the oil seems to have completely dried. You can tell this point as the oil will remain tacky or sticky while unoxidized. As long as the stock has the least little bit of stickiness to it forget about putting any more oil on it. You can rub it from time to time while it is still wet but that is all.

When the oil has dried examine the stock. It will not have taken on the appearance you want, but it will be a start. Go after it again with another treatment of the boiled oil, rubbing hard and fast all the time. It will take about three treatments [ At least! - ed. ] to give you what you are after. You will find, however, that the stock takes on the rich, rubbed appearance of the true Dull London Oil Finish that no other treatment will bring out. When your final coat of oil has been applied and has hardened well you can then polish with the rottonstone and felt.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.