Awhile back--I really don't recall when- I ordered a Kuiu synthetic top--maybe a windshirt, when they brought it out in Verde (and that's new, so it wasn't ancient history). Like many of us, I work 55-65 hours in any given week, and I made the bad mistake of not trying it on immediately. I've spent a lot of money at Kuiu, and everything always fit flawlessly...one of their selling points.

The first weekend in September is our archery elk opener, and it was the first time I wore it...and was dismayed to find out that while it was fine in every other dimension, even a little long in the arms and trunk, it was skin tight in the forearms to the point where I couldn't bend my elbows, let alone pull up the sleeves if I were gutting an animal. I should point out here that I'm 6'0" and 165 lbs--hardly a monster. And every piece of the other dozen Kuiu items , all sized medium, have fit flawlessly.

So, I log on to their website and pull up my account to see the item number, order date, etc., and it's blank, though it's worked fine for me in the past. I called Kuiu. No answer in half a dozen calls. I e-mail, describe the situation, thank Kuiu for its high quality products and support for groups like Backcountry Hunters and Anglers, and wait a few days. A customer service rep responds pleasantly, explains that there has been a change of computer systems, and asks me to to send a photo. I do--and I've articulated now that bow season is open and I to resolve this as soon as possible--and I wait for five days. I send a tickler e-mail, and receive the following from another rep:

Jock,

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, that is over our 60 day return policy and it also has been worn as you had mentioned, which also does not meet our return policy. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Best Regards,

McCade
KUIU Customer Service

1) It would be pretty tough to know that it didn't fit in one crucial area if I had not worn it for part of a day on one trip, and
2) It's not an arbitrary decision on my part--like I don't like the style or color. The sleeve diameter is inadequate; it would be tight on my young daughter. That hasn't been true of any other Kuiu garment I've owned. It's either a design or a sewing flaw, and I don't see why a company that markets to the top tier of hunters would time-limit returns in that kind of situation.

I guess I'm most irritated because I thought this was a company I thought I could support and find high quality gear at for the rest of my career. After this experience, I find it hard to support them in any way.