Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
By a giant coincidence into my local gun shop yesterday comes another Remington 541 this one though is the 541-S Custom Sporter model (made in June of 1977). It did not last even 1 hour on the rack as one of my Hunting/gun trading partners bought it on sight at a hair over $500.00 - it is in 95% condition and has an EXCEPTIONAL trigger pull on it!
I have not seen one of these Rifles for sale for a long time and here in short order two of them come along.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Your recent luck on 541's sounds similar to mine. You may recall my posting a while back about a 541T heavy barrel I picked up at the LGS for $399. It wasn't until I got home with it I noticed the "Voelker Match" stamp on the barrel whistle . What I didn't post was a few months later, a second 541T showed up at the same shop but with the sporter weight barrel. I had to give a little for this one, but still under $500. I've read the sporter barrels often shoot better than the heavy models. I haven't shot the sporter model enough to say, but my initial thoughts are it shoots as good, if not better than the Voelker.