I bought a 453 "Varmint" .22 rimfire brand new several years ago, had my gunsmith pillar-bed the action and re-float the heavy barrel... and tested it for accuracy by shooting a ton of ammo through it only to be somewhat disappointed in it's accuracy.

I tested over 30 different brands/types of .22 rimfire and found it shoots Wolf Match/Target pretty good... a �-inch, 5-shot group at 50 yards off a solid bench-rest using a heavy Lyman aluminum rife rest + sandbags under the forearm and a pair of sandbags at the toe of the butt with the butt pulled back solidly against my shoulder and doing the "breathing thing", using a good 4-12x40 A/0 scope set on 12x... shooting fairly well, but not as good as I expected it to shoot.

Am I expecting too much? Maybe so... I dunno.

It will put 3 or 4 shots into one smallish, ragged hole @ 50 yards, then I'll get a "flyer" that opens up the group to a half inch or a little more.

I began weighing each round and measuring the overall length to try to get ammo of the same weight and length to use in shooting each 5-shot group, but this still happens... so it ends up with me doing a LOT of extra 'work" and not getting any measurable results from doing it.

I'm SURE it's NOT "me" as I have a rock-solid "rest" and use the single-set trigger adjusted almost as "light" as possible, but I've found that this happens often with .22 rimfire ammo since the factories are "pounding-out" the ammo as fast as they can load it working 24/7/365. This doesn't lead to totally accurate ammo... even in the "match" ammo.

I haven't tried any Tenex or that really expensive .22 rimfire ammo since I'm not "into" paying that much per shot in a .22 rimfire rifle... and maybe my "frugal" outlook is the "problem", eh? grin

If this "ammo shortage" ever gets "fixed", I may try some of that "expensive stuff" to see if my little CZ453 "has it" or not.

Anybody got any other "ideas" that might prove useful?

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...