I also doubt that RWS or Eley are "pounding out" their more expensive ammo.

What I was referring to is that most of the brands I tried seem to be getting "sloppy" in the manufacturing efforts.

I originally wrote in my initial post on this thread, "30 different brands/types of .22 rimfire ammo"... when, in fact it was actually 32 different brands/types of .22 rimfire ammo.

What I consistently found was a wide variation in the overall length and as well as a considerable variation in total loaded cartridge weight in all of the brands/types of ammo I tried (some cheap, some not-so-cheap).

Naturally, I've am aware that EITHER of these "variations" creates an accuracy issue, but I was surprise to find what-I-consider obvious "flaws" in EVERY brand/type of ammo that I tried.

Wolf Match/Target had the "least" of such "flaws", but still... it had almost as many "issues" as some of the better "cheaper" ammo I tried.

I suppose I could "lay" some of this to my inexperience in size of the 5-shot groups a truly "very accurate" .22 rimfire rifle like my CZ453 is capable of shooting, but I frankly expected "more" out of the supposedly "decent quality" name-brand ammo I purchased for this "test".

With my hand-loads, my Ruger #1 International (aka "RSI") with it's short, light 20-inch barrel and an after-market Kepplinger Single-Set Trigger I had my gunsmith install has fired 3-shot groups that measures as small as .176-inches and my heavy-barreled Sako varmint rifle in .222 Remington has shot a single 5-shot group under 1/10th of an inch (actually .0911") and consistently shoots 5-shot groups under .20-inches off the bench using a 24X scope.

I supposed I expected "more" out of a .22 rimfire with a heavy 20-inch barrel and a "factory" single-set trigger which my CZ453 "Varmint" model has... but I didn't expect such a wide variation in quality control of the ammo.

Of course, I'm still "fiddling" with the in/lb settings on the two receive screws on the CZ453... but since they are pillar-bedded, I don't expect much will change regardless of how tight or how loose I have the 2 receiver screws set.

Frankly, I expected the CZ453 to "out-shoot" my heavy-barreled Sako varmint rifle, butttttt... that just isn't happening. Of course, my bullet and cartridge case weight is extremely consistent as is the depth at which the bullet is set in the "accurized" Winchester cartridge cases.

It is obvious to me that the current state of "quality control" is relatively low with most U.S. rimfire ammo manufacturers... and, frankly, this FACT was very disappointing to learn.

That said, I thank you helpful gentlemen for sharing your thoughts and comments with me. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...