Yes, Huntsman...

I do when I'm testing something. That way, I can go back if some new information shows up and re-check my thinking by re-checking the groups sizes and if the situation warrants it, the chronographed muzzle-velocity as well.

Saving targets also helps me to remember what amount of what powder and the other components I used to obtain that group. This was always helpful since the vast majority of my shooting was with center-fire rifles and handguns, not rimfire "stuff".

Thus, just as in this case, I was able to go back 6 years and make comments on the ammo, the group size, etc. that I shot that October day in 2008.

Naturally, I do not keep all my targets... only the ones I'm using for various tests I make. And on those I keep, I even make a notation of the wind's speed and direction... and the day's temperature if it is significant or might affect the results of that particular test.

As an example, I have a good many different targets (paper plates, actually) I shot when doing my tests with various brands and types of center-fire rifle primers for various calibers ranging from .222 Remington (my varmint rifle) to .338 Win. Magnum (my elk, moose & grizzly bear rifle).

In tests with my Savage Model 99 in .300 Savage caliber, I found that the standard Winchester large rifle primer gave me the best 3-shot group accuracy (.191 inches) and the 3rd best muzzle velocity (2635 fps) with a maximum deviation of just 3 fps (+1 fps/-2 fps) which definitely contributes to superior accuracy.

That's why they keep "record books", my friend... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...