Most of my gobblers have been killed with a rifle.. No a .22 LR, but the Hornet, .222, .223, .22-250, .22-250AI, the Swift, .243, .25-35 & the .270.. That is the sporting method of killing a gobbler.. With the influence $ propaganda of the Wild Turkey Fed. Shotguns were pushed as the "sporting weapon"!!! Real sporting, shooting a bird on the ground with a shotgun..
I switched to a shotgun for several years when I was seriously hunting turkey.. The few gobblers I will hunt in the future will be killed with a rifle..
The old time turkey hunters said all that needs to be said on the matter. Henry Davis author of the great book THE AMERICAN WILD TURKEY, said since I hunt for sport rather than meat, I use a small bore rifle..(He preferred a Hornet or K-Hornet.
The great shotgunner, Major Charles Askins explained, killing a turkey with a shotgun, is nothing short of murder.. He preferred a small bore rifle.. I would suspect Longbeardking,s choice the .25-20 or 32-20.. Both out standing small game and turkey rifles..

Molon Labe