Kinda worries me that some people would mistake even a camoed up person for a turkey,

As natman stated it's not so much an issue of someone shooting a person he thought was a turkey but rather a case of hitting someone you didn't know was there. On public land here in Alabama a turkey gobbling on the limb at daylight can and often does draw multiple hunters into close proximity to one another in the early morning twilight. And since hunters orange is not a turkey season requirement they probably won't see one another. The lethal range on a human for even high powered number 4's (the largest legal shot for turkey's here) is probably less than 40 yards. Hopefully within that range they would see one another. The lethal range of a rifle is half a damn mile. And even if you hit the turkey they aren't going to stop most rifle bullets.

Another scenario I always think about in these debates is somebody with a realistic gobbler decoy set out in the edge of a field while he is tucked away in the edge of the woods. Somebody carrying a shotgun is going to have to get close enough to see that it's just a decoy before they would be in range to fire. But what if somebody carrying a high powered rifle spots this set up from 200 yards away on the other side of the field. Seems like a good way for the guy in the woods to get a bullet bounced into him.

If it's legal where you hunt then more power to you. I'm not knocking you for using a rifle or hunting in any way that's legal in your neck of the woods. But I'm glad it's not legal here. And the NWTF has nothing to do with it being illegal here. It's been illegal here since before there was a NWTF.

Last edited by Todd_Bradford; 10/20/14.