Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
There was one man, commonly called the 'rich young ruler' who placed his wealth above his salvation. He wouldn't repent and walked away in his sin. Jesus looked at him in sorrow knowing that the man was condemned.
I don't agree. The rich young man asked what he needed to do to be saved, and Jesus told him to follow the commandments if he wanted eternal life. The man said that he had always followed them, but wanted more. Jesus then told him how to "be perfect," i.e., to sell all he has, give it to the poor, and come and follow him. This, Jesus said, would give him treasure in heaven, i.e., not just get him there. That's when he walked away, unwilling to sell all he had.
He was not saved. Here's the quote:

Luke 18:18 A certain ruler asked him, "Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?"
19 "Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No-one is good� except God alone.
20 You know the commandments: �Do not commit adultery, do not murder, do not steal, do not give false testimony, honour your father and mother.�"
21 "All these I have kept since I was a boy," he said.
22 When Jesus heard this, he said to him, "You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

He asked what he needed to be saved and Jesus told him he lacked one thing, to give up his wealth. He couldn't be saved until he did that one thing and he refused to do it. He put his money ahead of his soul. Jesus must be first in everything.
Jesus doesn't require us to be paupers. He just requires us to put him 1st. He knew where this man's heart really was.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.