A couple of you may know of my love affair with L.C.Smith doubles which are the perfect companion pieces to go with Savage lever guns (with a kindly nod to A.H.Foxes too, for Drew and Gary),but Hunter Arms never made a Smith gun chambered for 28 gauge shells. As a result, I'm forced (oh darn) to carry a little Anschutz (made by Miroku) 26" O/U 28 bore, on a 28 gauge-sized frame, choked skeet/skeet (no tubes). 5 3/4 pounds of magical lightning that for me defines the perfect grouse gun (not to mention doves and skeet).

There's a covert out in Alleghany County, Maryland, that will not echo from the reports of that little gun this year. That only means there will be twice as many birds there next year, right? Right?

I still have my Pop's old grouse/quail/pheasant medicine: a 1948 vintage Savage/Stevens 311 16 gauge wearing Tenite stocks. Its balance is woebegone, butt stock dimensions are all wrong, and it's choked a lot tighter than the M/F designation would have you believe, but for some dumb reason the old man could wipe your plate clean with it. He bought it new the year he graduated high school and it served as his primary shotgun 'til he died in '90. I rather dislike carrying/shooting it, but I trundle it out at least once a year (usually to a duck blind) to let the birds remember that once upon a time there lived a guy named Blair...

Last edited by gnoahhh; 10/15/14.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty