I agree,those things are as hard as a whore's heart,... and that FIREPROOF blue chit that they "lube" em' with seems to remain on the bullet all the way to the target, instead of shedding in the bore.

This was one of those "wait for a light to go on" kinda' jobs,...I stared at the thing for DAYS, and finally got an inkling.

* The cylindrical outer "ring was turned out of a length of old Marlin Micro Groove barrel, and threaded ( 1/4 - 40 TPI) JUST deep enough so's the little threaded "bush" would jam up into the unfinished taper. The bush was bored, and a little "break off groove" can be seen where it meets the unthreaded minor diameter. Id venture the wall thickness under that groove there was about .007" max. With the cylinder held firm in the lathe chuck, the "Bush" was threaded in, and the shank broke off as intended. The ring was than parted off, and the rear end of the bush struck one major (and concentric lick, effectively swaging it into place. The ring was swapped around in the chuck, indicated, final bored, and than counterbored with an end cuttting mill, leaving about a .055" thick "Web" for the new apertures to seat, and align against. The counterbore is CRITICAL to letting lots of light get into the aperture's tunnel, for clearer viewing.

Sound simple ?

[Linked Image]

It wasn't, and the closer you get to finishing a part like this, the more fragile it becomes, and that much easier to screw up.

[Linked Image]

Had to build a little chill block alignment fixture. God bless old chunks of buss bar !

[Linked Image]

Those are not file marks, on the finished welded, filed, buffed,and cherried out ring,... Merely fingerprints in the file chalk dust.

[Linked Image]

I "Sleeved" couple of existing apertures that I had in stock up to 1/4-40,....one a .060", the other a .070" and will wait for Patrick's call out on whether he wants a larger or smaller "Sunday go to meeting" piece like the one on the left here below.I think the touch of brass and the rubber O-ring are a nice touch, but can knurl the new one if he so requests.

[Linked Image]

Cheers !

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain