Originally Posted by acooper1983
Im a 100% muzzleloading newbie, i do like the idea of long range accuracy with a muzzleloader. on my wisconsin farm i frequently see some absolute slammers during the muzzleloader season out in my foodplots. To reach them in these deer id need a muzzleloader capable of a 250 yard shot. Are there any other muzzle loaders that are capable of this kind of accuracy? What do you guys think of the price, i see i can get a kit for 1299 shipped that included a leupold scope with graduated drop compensating. Im particularly interested in the primer system them use, looks like a 44 mag case with a large rifle primer in it.

I have been shooting the original Ultimate Muzzleloader for years and just set up a Remington for a friend last week.

Let's look at price. My friend paid about $800. Check Gunbroker.

We have only shot the new Remington out to 100 yds using 4 50gr Pyrodex pellets and a 250gr Horn SST (use the black high pressure sabots). Groups are running a little over 1".

The priming system is what really makes this work. I use Fed 215 Match primers. I believe this is what makes clean up so easy. Everything gets burned. No need to pull a breech plug. Just a couple of damp patches with Butch's Bore Shine for ML and you are done.

I have read some posts speculating about the use of loose powder vs pellets in the UML. When I first got mine I chronographed 4- 50gr 777 pellets vs 200gr (by volume)777 loose powder. The pellets were yielding a little under 2300fps with a 300 gr SST, the loose powder 1800fps. I suspect the difference is caused by the pellets having the hole for the flash to travel through, thus igniting the full powder column nearly at once vs the long column of loose powder being ignited from the bottom.

Regarding the long range accuracy, last weekend checked my zero for the upcoming season. I put 2 shots 2" apart at 300 yds. Close enough.

I like my original UML and I believe the Remington will work out well. Easy and effective priming system, very easy to clean, accurate and dependable.

405wcf