Originally Posted by acooper1983
i do like the idea of long range accuracy with a muzzleloader. on my wisconsin farm i frequently see some absolute slammers during the muzzleloader season out in my foodplots. To reach them in these deer id need a muzzleloader capable of a 250 yard shot. What do you guys think of the price, i see i can get a kit for 1299 shipped that included a leupold scope with graduated drop compensating. Im particularly interested in the primer system them use, looks like a 44 mag case with a large rifle primer in it.

I have one. It is capable of reaching the level of performance you seek. Not familiar with that kit, but the rifle can be had from a dealer for about $800. If you can get dealer pricing, then cheaper. Friend has the custom version this Remington is based off, as well as this model. His custom uses magnum pistol cases, whereas the Remington uses the modified rifle cases. I think the Remington is an improvement in the breech plug and ignition system. The friend is so happy with the Remington, I think he likes it better than the custom, that I got one.

He's shooting Blackhorn 209 and a Parker bullet, and it does well. Next season, I'll likely be shooting either the new Federal Trophy Copper, or fall back on the old Barnes Original, also using Blackhorn 209. I'd expect any of those combos to shoot well out of this gun.

My only dislike is the bulk and weight of the VLS stock. I'm going to reshape the stock closer to a sporter, slim it down and hollow the butt-stock to make it a bit handier. That shouldn't worry you though, if looking for a bean field rifle.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood