Originally Posted by saddlesore
[quote=Alamosa
A small minority of hunters I've spoken to claim that they simply answer to a higher authority and would leave their firearm at the fenceline and do what they feel is morally right. They would rather take their chances in court and keep a clear conscience. Personally, I'm not sure I'd have the courage to put myself in that group.

That's for sure, try crossing the fence at Wolf Springs ranch ,south of Westcliff ,CO and see what happens, or one of those hobby ranches , north of Gunnison or the Forbes Trinchera ranch.

The problem with contacting a CPW officer is that the offices are never open on weekends and they won't give out the contact information of the field guys if you do get ahold of them.

Then too by the time that is all over and done with, the meat has spoiled.

This was the scene yesterday at Wolf Springs.
[Linked Image]
I couldn't get them all in the photo. There were elk above on the public land too but the big bull eluded me.

+2 on Trinchera. I've had them run my plates and then leave a note on my windshield to let me know they did just for being parked on a county road near the Trinchera.

True about contacting an officer but I don't think they would encourage one to try to in that situation if they did not intend to try for a good outcome.
I get where that might not be top priority at the moment.
If faced with that circumstance contact State Patrol.
I've always gotten at least a callback from the DOW officer on duty or his supervisor.

Last edited by Alamosa; 11/15/14.