No, you misunderstood me as I misunderstood you. We hunt to eat, and knock on wood, have never lost a big game animal. A normal hunt would be one to three caribou. (Fall ATV hunts are 65 miles off the road system and a week or so in duration) Winter hunts with snow machine are usually 4 to 6 caribou because of easier meat care.
My partner hunts with a bow and has three growing boys, so there are times that the freezers get low. I'm not saying we don't enjoy the sport aspect of it ,but the number one goal is meat.
Our situations are different, and I haven't hunted in the lower 48 in 30 some years.
I apologize if I offended you; I have watched thousands of caribou file by while I made sure a previous caribou was indeed on the ground and dead.
Bye the way, if you look back, I did no preaching. I misunderstood you; hence my comment of sketchy. Beef T bone steaks are $16.00 a pound here, burger $7.00 a pound. Game meat we bring home costs us $6.15 a gallon for gas, and thousands more in equipment to access the country. So we're pretty serious about the game.
Those of us living north of the Yukon river could legally shoot 1825 caribou a year; no tags, just a harvest ticket we fill out each year.