Originally Posted by shrapnel

I was very kind to Travis and didn't pile on, when I could have. I had these elk spotted for over a week and kept an eye on them during that time. It is true, I went for breakfast at Val's Diner in Wilsall while Travis and Mini-flave were hiking, but there was no need for me to hike with 2 elk already under my belt this fall, and recovering from a severe leg injury.

I strongly urged Travis to take the 300 and Mini could pack the lighter and much inferior rifle, if you can call it that. You can't talk sense to someone who insists on fast twist and plastic. He opted for the GFY and 2 different cartridges, confident one would work.

I am watching all of this through a spotting scope and can see Travis and elk, both in the spotter. Watching the sneak, I was expecting a shot at any time and was hoping to see the elk drop in the scope. Neither happened and we broke radio silence. There were still at least 100 head of elk moving slowly East but Travis was used up. He said he was coming off the mountain with something of a gun malfunction.

I never said "I told you so" but I had a strong feeling that I should. Travis is something of a sensitive guy and after all the drama, I again exercised prudence and stayed calm and polite. Besides, we had tomorrow to do it again, and Val's is open for breakfast at 7:00.

Travis decided elk hunting was easier than he thought and didn't consider all the work I had put into this to make it happen for him. He told me that he was fine with a quick trip over on "Bob's place" in the morning and by then, he would be having Megan/Pepper withdrawals and opted for an early departure.

That was soon forgotten though, when we got to the motel and she wasn't there. I left him standing in the entryway of the Motel in 7 degree weather steaming at being left by his 2 girls. At least he wasn't cold...

AWESOME! This is easily the second best hunting story I have read on the 'fire. Now, if Travis ass-shoots an elk, and Shrapnel shows up with a mile of cable....