Damn good thing that 22-250 didn't go off in that bbl and did indeed, gut or ass-shot that fat cow , They'd still be out there lookin' fer the pore thing !

Maybe not directly related, But a goof-up nonetheless -------

At the ripe young age of 17 my pal Joe & I were going to do a one dayer up in the mtns and were gonna drive up the nite before and sleep in the car til hunt time .
Joe showed up about 6 pm (dark & snowin like hell} the nite before and came in the house to chat with my Mom while I loaded my stuff in his car.
My first trip was an armload of blankets, & huntin clothes and on the way out the door, I reached down & hooked my boot laces (tied together) with a finger under the clothes to carry them to the car. Keep in mind it was snowin' like crazy.
Went back in to find Joe in a long discussion with Mom ! Finally , out we went into the storm ,piled into the car , and off we went.
Got up into the Mtns fell asleep a few hrs and got up to don our hunt gear ,and lo & behold , my boots were not anywhere in the car ! I had worn a pair of shoes on the way up, but I did have a couple pairs extra of tall Boot socks . Well , after a moment or two of cussin' & contemplation , I pulled the boot socks right on over the shoes, and into the woods we went! We followed the trail in about a mile & when it ended , the snow got really deep ,so I took a stand right off the trail. Joe took off to my left , and went on in farther. 'Bout a half hour passed, and another hunter comes in along the trail,now being full daylight, He takes one look at me standin'there in the socks and just walks away shakin' his head! Couple hours later a nice Buck comes toward me from the way He went in , and I dropped him right close to the trail!
We got home late, hung the Deer,and when Joe left, I hit the sack.
When I got up the next morning, my Mom informed me that one of my Dad's hunt buddies had come by the nite before to drop off some venison from an earlier hunt. When I looked around for my boots and couldn't find them, I started to think back, and recalled carryin' 'em out to the car the nite before .
Out I went with the snow shovel , and sure enuf, in short order uncovered my boots containing a pair of wool socks in each one, along with a thermos of coffee & one of vegetable soup in them; All smashed to bits inside the boots, from bein' run over , TWICE

Last edited by nitrosonic; 12/27/14.

"Only Accurate Rifles are Interesting" (Colonel Townsend Whelen)