I had all of last week off for hunting and except for a couple obligations that got in the way, I hunted nearly the whole time. Basically, I just watched the same few deer move through in different combinations. I must have seen the same little spike about 10 times, including the time I heard him coming and, not knowing it was him, I hit the grunt tube a couple times. He came charging in like his ass was on fire. I had to fight back the laughter at seeing him acting so bad azzed.

I saw a decent fork horn on Thursday evening. I tried everything I could to put a brow tine on him to make him legal, but no go.

I took a stroll through the woods to see where there was movement and found the first scrape I've ever seen on my property. It was on a lightly used deer trail about 75 yards from a stand that I haven't hunted in a few years. I plan to plant myself there before dawn on Thanksgiving morning and see what happens.

I have a doe tag, but doubt that I'll fill it. There just doesn't seem to be as many deer this year and since my son put some venison in the freezer during the youth hunt, there's no point in shooting a doe when the deer numbers are down.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile