I've seen wolf kills that look quite different then that too. That one looks quite old and may have had snow on it for some time.

I'd like to blame the wolves, but I just can't put it all on them. I've hunted areas/states that have a way worse wolf problem than MI and I just don't see it. I'm all for knocking the numbers down though. Go out to MT, ID, MN or even WI and you'll see a wolf issue. We have way more land mass and way less wolves per capita. Our deer numbers are dwindling more because of winters and over harvest than wolves.

I watched the winter of 02-03 kill UP whitetails, 07-08 & 08-09 kill UP whitetails and now 13-14 & 14-15 kill UP whitetails. In between, our numbers rebound a bit.

What most are unconsciously complain about though us the fact that we were way overpopulated prior to the winter of 95-96. That herd wiped out our deer yards and ultimately 200,000+ deer died. The numbers rebounded a bit, but the DNR knocked them down with doe tags...too many.

What about the 70's when guys pissed themselves if they saw a track?

Look at our antler size compared to other big woods states a similar climate. In some areas of the UP, a 3 1/2 year old is a dink six. That same deer may be 120" in another big woods state. I won't venture to give my philosophy there though.

I could go on and on. It's safe to say that we have way too much bait in the woods and way too many deer hunters for the herd the UP now carries. It's driving people out or causing them to give up all together.