Originally Posted by battue
Out the door for opening morning and it is raining. I wonder how many of the pre64 purists will be be out there with their pristine-or not even close-model 70s? Few I'm guessing. They have a rifle that was made to take what comes its' way, but can't bring themself to do so. Heck most want to baby them on nice days.

This currently made example should be perfect for a day like today. It gives them a real beater, tho pretty nice for a truck gun, to get them thru these not so perfect days. They should be thanking Winchester for this option of a pretty good rifle to take out and actually use. One that is familiar in function to their pre 64 and I doubt if it will fall apart in their hands, until the perfect day when they can bring the real deal out to play again.

Well said Bob, but model 70 devotes are an odd crew.

In the last month I�ve sold three rifles and purchased two more. A Ruger American .30-06 went down the road because I couldn�t get it to shoot to my standards, which aren�t particularly stringent. A very nice Ruger #1 in .280 Rem that shot pleasing .5� groups was also sold, only to be replaced by a Ruger All-Weather stainless/synthetic Hawkeye in .280 Rem. Why the change? The All-Weather doesn�t begin to have the eye appeal of the #1 but it suits my hunting needs better. Come next fall Daughter #1 will likely use it on her first elk hunt. If it gets dings and scratches, no problem. Wet weather? No problem there, either.

This last weekend I traded a beautiful Ruger Hawkeye in .300WM that I bought NIB nearly a year ago as a wedding present for a future son-in-law. It was a display model with minor handling marks. Ruger reblued it and replaced the stock with their African stock. It was gorgeous and when the wedding was called off it was mine. Problem was it was destined to be a safe queen and I don�t have room for them in my safe. Furthermore, it was redundant as I already have a .300WM Ruger MKII in the Zytel semi-skeleton stock that shoots great and provides what I want in a hunting rifle. What I traded for was a Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308 Win with a 16-1/2� barrel in blue and laminate dress. The Scout is nothing fancy but it will get used.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.