John yes, they made a few good guns after 1964.

But the guns that cemented the Winchester reputation,were pretty much all pre 64 Models. The M70, the 52,the 94, the 71,64, M12's and 21's.....all the icons were pre 64's.

The Classic was a decent working gun (I bought two immediately,a 300 Win Mag and a 338 Win Mag SG) when they came out). But they had to irretrievably screw up the M70 before they were dragged kicking and screaming to have David Miller design rifle for them that people would buy again. Even then it was "different" from the pre 64.....MIM extractors, two piece bolts, cast parts,and after awhile very indifferent assembly.

The Classic probably gave me more fits related to sloppy and indifferent assembly than any other class of M70's. So I was never much of a fan unless a really good smith did the required work to the metal to make it work like it should. I was never a real fan because they were a crap shoot and had issues I never saw with any pre 64 i owned,which has been quite a few. I have had good and bad Classics,but never had a "bad" pre 64.

These are the reasons I say NH was never the same after 1964,but you will get as many opinions on this as there are shooters who used the guns from both time frames.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.