Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Were the latest 70's that came out of Columbia SC that bad or did they just pull up and go to Portugal for the cheaper labor rates?

Been discussed before the #1 reason the qc the stocks winchester was getting was bad they don't make their own stocks they outsourced it. From what i heard it was Boyd stocks but who knows how true that is. Anyhow because winchester was returning more stocks to the company making them they fell behind in production the whole time the model 70 was being made in South Carolina winchester was always behind production. So the head mofo at the Portugal plant same plant that makes the high end browning shotguns said we will make the stocks and move production over here. The Europeans don't really have that made in my country type pride like Americans do. So FN decided to shift production I think 2013 was the last year of sc made model 70's.

That would make sense. I've seen a couple of Super Grades that clearly had the stock layout wrong. One was a .300 and it was a nice piece of wood, but likely to break at the wrist.

I just bought an SC Super Grade in 7mm mag from a relative, and it is a very attractive rifle. I'm told it shoots well, too.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."