Originally Posted by FreeMe
….Nah. I had a 2 1/2" 19. I could/can shoot the 3" 60 better than it - even with the same loads. If I'm gonna pack the larger frame, it might as well have the larger barrel. The 60as makes a great hills gun.
One of the problems with anecdotal evidence is that everyone's experiential "proof" is contrary to everyone else's……i.e. the very first revolver that I personally purchased was a 2 1/2" Model 19. It was the most incredibly accurate revolver that I've ever owned (up to this point). I realized the folly of those words as I have no idea how consistently precise it was chamber to chamber; it was 1972 and I was a college kid with no range equipment and little knowledge (now at least I have range equipment). Unfortunately I needed $ and sold it a year later, but In the ensuing 43 years, I've owned 4 longer barreled Model 19's (that I can remember off the top of my head), but I could shoot none of them as well as that 2 1/2" gun. The land where we're building our place/range is on the edge of the Snowy Range Mountains and there have been occasional bear, frequent Mt. Lion and even two bonified wolf sightings. My "hills gun" is a 2 1/2" Model 66. It's not heavy compared to anything that I normally carry except a 642. It rides high on the belt and protrudes very little below the belt with an OWB holster, making a great concealed carry gun with a light cover garment. In short, it seems to do everything that I want done……..perfectly. Unfortunately, my "proof" is irrelevant for anyone else, i.e. you shoot a 3" J-frame better than you shot your 2 1/2" K.

The L-frame .44 mag looks great for the same reasons. Should be a great vertical stroll gun for those who want a big bore. Only if you can actually shoot it with something warmer than hot .44 special loads though. Otherwise, the fact that it's only less than 2 oz lighter than a steel 1911 makes it kind of pointless in my book.
…..I'm not sure what "vertical stroll" means, but at my current state of gravity enhancement, I'm pretty sure that my days of strolling that way are gone. I still don't get the Model 69……for a "carrying around" gun the 3" 629 Talo gun seems to beat the 69 in every measurable way. It's only two frickin' onces heavier and is a full inch shorter which would make it more pleasant to both carry and shoot in my opinion ( or "comfortabler" as Doc put it). Why give up a round for 2 oz. of weight and one inch of barrel?? Quite honestly I'm thinking that the "Mountain Gun" is close to the perfect compromise.

Last edited by gmoats; 02/21/15.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.