Originally Posted by gmoats
Originally Posted by Scott F
Except for the 17s I agree completely. The old 17 AH was in my opinion the finest sage rat killer ever born. I never had one but have abruptly ended the life of a bunch of sage rats with a friends 17 AH.

….ok, I understand that when you've had success with something, you tend to think that it's the best……I just can't figure out (on paper) what any .17 does, that something else doesn't do better or cheaper. Where I live, one of those little .17's may wind up in Utah or Nebraska depending upon which way the wind is blowing.

I have used a 22 hornet, 22 K-hornet, and a 22 BR on sage rats. All kill them dead and none killed then deader that any other but the most fun I have had was with 17 AH. It lower sound does not spook the rats and I have taken four off a single mound shooting left to right with the little 17. The 22 BR would put then back in their holes with the first shot. The other thing even the 22 hornet has enough muzzel flip so you cannot see the bullet strike. The 17 AH I have ennd the rat explode.

So, I am in no way saying any one is better that the other, just I have more fun with the 17 and since I reload every centerfire I shoot finding ammunition is a non issue.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!