I wonder how many people get led down the rabbit hole of bullet casting by starting out buying commercially cast bullets? I bet a lot do.

Thats pretty much the way it went for me in the beginning. At the time the only firearm I shot cast in was my Ruger BH. I bought LazerCast 158 gr. SWC bullet at the LGS for I think at the time was around $25 for a box of 500.

I ended up getting a couple of molds an at the time wheel weights were easy to get for free. I cast all my bullets at the time by hand,no pot an also had a RCBS lubsizer. Got married kids came along and all that goes along with that so all the fun stuff went by the wayside for a number of years. I sold the molds and lubsizer.

Fast forward 20 years and I've been back in the game for the past 15 or so and haven't looked back I own 15 molds of various makers both plain base as well as gas check version. I lube all my bullets using Alox and JPW lube and all the gas checks and sizing are done with Lee push through sizers just to keep things simple. I've stashed up enough free lead and lead based alloys over the years not to have to worry about bullets for awhile. I shoot cast lead in all my rifles and handguns nowadays although I have a decent stash of J bullets for all calibers I load that I stuck back during my non casting years they just stay in there boxes waiting for a rainy day.

Biathlonman those bullets shouldn't be a problem unless there are just large voids where there is no lube at all. A simple fix would be just to give them a light coat of Lee Alox thinned down with mineral spirits if they give you any problems.

Last edited by res45; 02/22/15.

Artisan in Lead, bullets and powder