Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by Paladin

Question is, can you get one hole accuracy with coated bullets?

That depends how close the target is! blush

I've read a bit about people's issues with it on castboolits too, but haven't had any problems myself. To be fair, I've never experienced "one hole", as in sub-0.5moa, accuracy with any cast bullets, but I don't shoot watered down light cast bullet loads in my rifles either.

In my experience, my powder coated bullets have been just as accurate as lubed bullets, in both rifle and pistol. The difference is being able to push the powder coated bullets faster and at higher pressure, without worry about leading. In pistols, I am getting "one hole" accuracy out of a couple 45 and 9mm Glocks at 15 yards with powder coated bullets. In rifles, I'm getting ~2 moa with full power 308 (2500-2600 fps), as well as 35 Remington and 300 Blackout, which is as good or better than lubed bullets ever did for me.

Some of the problem may come from people insisting that you don't have to worry about alloy hardness with powder coated bullets. While it's true that you can shoot softer bullets without leading, they still need to be hardened correctly for best accuracy.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for a well thought out answer. Possibly more so than the ill stated question. Pretty much what I was looking for. More along the lines of a .5 MOA group is what I had in mind.

It sounds like it is well worth whatever effort it is to coat the bullets. Guess I'd best get to coating and see how it works for me.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~