This is not truly a moral dilemma, but it sure as hell feels like one to me.

As some of you know, I am looking for a "beater" Pre '64 M70 stock. I feel a little bit bad searching for one because I really don't like to see old rifles taken apart. After all, there are a finite number of Pre '64 M70s in the world and it would be nice to keep them intact. On the other hand, some of us truly prefer different stocks, and never plan to return the rifle to original, so maybe we should pass the stock on to someone who wants it. It is what it is.

I can pretty much live with the above, but now we come to this. I'm looking on the 'Bay and it is clear someone has taken a perfectly good '52 Standard .30-06 completely apart and is selling the pieces. As far as I can tell, the only thing "bad" about the rifle was that it had been cut for a pad. And when I say "apart", I pretty much mean it. The bolt is out of the receiver and the bolt is apart, with the extractor ring being sold separately from the extractor, the firing pin separate from the bolt shroud, even the safety out of the bolt shroud. The sights are off the barrel and sold separately. The swivels are out of the stock, but at least they are being sold together with the sling. There are a few more things grouped together, like the action screws, and the trigger parts, but gee whiz.

So, I write the guy to ask a question about the stock, and ask where the receiver is and why he didn't sell the whole rifle. He writes back the receiver is on Gunbroker, gives me the item number on that site, and says "I sell parts."

Sure enough, the receiver is there on GB, stripped bare except the filler screws for the receiver sight are still in it. The guy wouldn't at least sell an intact action where the receiver and bolt numbers match.

Now, I know it is a free country, and people can do as they please with their property. I also understand what they do is none of my damn business. I also understand he will get a lot more from the rifle this way, and who knows, maybe he really needs the money. But I admit the whole deal just pizzes me off on a fundamental level.

If someone decides to break out a NIB and start shooting it, that doesn't bother me at all. To me that is simply a monetary decision on their part, and they are using the rifle, but not destroying it. But this is different, as least to me. I was considering bidding on the stock, I'm doubting I can bring myself to support this endeavor by doing so.

I would really like to know the story. Is this some kid who thinks he is really smart, somebody who really needs the money, or just someone who has no soul when it comes to rifles?

I know I have gone on too long and am really starting to rant, but are you guys getting the message of how bad this pizzes me off?

I hope someone finds a stock to sell me that I can buy without feeling crappy about it. And please, give me your thoughts and tell me I am not alone. Or, if I shouldn't be this hot, tell me why.

Gun Doc

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"