POPGUN,

It is undoubtedly true that the majority of the parts, hopefully all of them, get other rifles up and running. That is the silver lining, and I have recognized it.

As far as the "plain vanilla 1960 30-06", one hopes those are the ones being parted out. The rifle that got me so riled up was a '52 .30-06 with the stock cut for a pad, something collectors hate to see. But it seems it was a nice enough rifle otherwise. The claim is the barrel is "excellent inside and out." The stock is a bit dinged, but certainly serviceable. All the parts point to a nice rifle someone would be proud to own and use. He has feedback for parts from a '46, so I'm not sure if anything is "safe." I suspect it is mostly a money deal, and some rifles are too expensive to part out. But I admit I don't know how this guy or any others decide what rifles to part out.

To be fair, other than the messed up rifle you started with, do you know if the parts you needed to complete your .270 came from other messed up rifles or perfectly fine ones that someone parted out? I guess it doesn't matter.

In the end, I suppose we are back to your main point. Perhaps the "important" thing, for lack of a better word, is the net number of functioning Pre '64s out there in the world. That is a number no one knows, but hopefully every parted out rifle, regardless of vintage or condition, results in a net increase.

At least it isn't something like the government cutting them up with a chop saw. That would be a true tragedy with no redeeming aspect.

Gun Doc

Last edited by GunDoc7; 03/02/15.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"