I don't know about all the points in this thread. I can only tell you my experience that enlightened me to health care and insurance.

I pay $325 per paycheck for my Blue Shield. Expensive, but great insurance. Zero deductible. This is in Ca through my employer.

At one point of few years ago, I was on the verge of escaping and moving to Nevada. Buying my own Blue Shield there, was $580 a month, $1000 deductible per person per year, or maximum $2000 per family per year.

Some easy math told me I'd be ahead paying my own way. But yeah, we're talking about two different states here. But when I called to find out what my real premium was (before employer contribution) it was $1750 per month. So about 40 miles east of where I'm living, health insurance was $1170 cheaper per month. Even factoring in the deductible, it would have been cheaper to buy my own.

My next lesson was when I was accidentally billed for a service I had already paid. It was several hundred bucks and I was nervous. I called and it was explained to me that I was accidentally billed for the difference between what the doctor charged, minus my copay, and the amount Blue Shield would pay.

Long and short of it is, if a doctor bills the insurance for something he feels is worth $500, the insurance can, and does, say nope, we're only paying $250. Of course you and I don't get to do that. We pay our copay or deductible whether we like it or not.

Something don't seem right with this system....

Last edited by pira114; 03/03/15.