I think most Trad failures have a few things in common. To begin with most guys start out over bowed. Even a 35# recurve has nearly twice the holding weight of a modern 70# compound bow. Second, many toss form to the wind and think that a hunched over, snap shooting style while 'burning a hole' will somehow miraculously make them a great shooter. I have found guys that will swallow their pride a bit and shoot a 30-35# bow until they get things figured out tend to shoot better, quicker and stick with it. It takes some work, and even the best trad shooter will never be able to shoot at the same level as with a decked out compound. But - the satisfaction that comes along with shooting an accurate, well executed shot from a simple stick and string can not be equaled with wheels.

FWIW: I still shoot a compound regularly and enjoy it, but the satisfaction I get from shooting the recurve is well worth the extra effort. I do believe it is a maturity thing, 25 years ago I doubt I would have the patients for it that I now have.

One more note - there has never been a compound made that can compare to the beauty of a Blacktail bow. Take a look at these- beautiful. The Legacy Series bows are works of art.
http://www.blacktailbows.com/bows.html

Last edited by centershot; 03/03/15.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope