I started out with recurves in the 50's (shot Field Rounds in several states for quite a few yrs...Hunter Class) and finally went to compounds on in late 70's or early 80's. Hunted with them for many yrs with fingers and no sights.

But, the compounds kept getting shorter and shorter so went to a release and one pin with no peep site. I never liked the release..just don't like using the muscles needed to draw with one...but really hated the peep site when I finally put one on the string.

All that led to no enjoyment in shooting. So I decided to go back to recurves. Best move I've made and really enjoy shooting again. Didn't really change much for hunting..I hunt same way with recurves as I did with compounds and shoot them about the same. I do really like carrying the much lighter weigh recurve through the woods.

Got a new Covert Hunter being built now that should be ready first part of next month.

I still got my compounds but haven't pulled one back since going back to recurves. I do all my hunting with flintlocks I build (.58cal rifle for deer, hog and elk and .20ga. for spring gobblers and squirrel..only two flintlocks I got left) and a rim-fire .22 for serious squirrel hunting..or one of my .22cal Weihrauch pellet rifles.

I guess I like hunting with these bows and guns because where I hunt on public land I don't get many opportunities to kill deer or turkeys and when I do I want it to mean as much as possible for me. I also enjoy hunting with the same guns as the old long hunters did, just to know what it was like to be a turkey or deer hunter back in those days.

Last edited by Hoyt; 03/10/15.