Good for you. I had the same experience about twenty years ago. I'm almost hanging up the guns entirely and just shooting my recurve. Oddly enough I haven't bought me a long bow yet. Don't think you are limited with trad equipment. Get yourself some good solid FOC arrows with a nice sharp and heavy broad head and it will penetrate any critter on earth. As stated, heavy arrows suck up sound and seem to run better out of trad equipment. I shoot both wood and carbon out of mine. Some will shutter at shooting carbon from a trad bow but let's face it, they just hold up better for the amount of shooting I like to do. You will find out it is more fun to shoot a trad bow as well and I usually shoot mine until my arm is ready to fall off. That's where shooting carbon or aluminum will make sense. Wood will eventually break and carbon or aluminum will shine in life span in comparison. I've shot everything from squirrels to bear with mine and have yet to feel handicapped. And like others have mentioned, don't over bow yourself. A #45 recurve will kill a lot of game with good arrows and shot placement.