When I got old enough to hunt in N. Wisconsin (late 80's early 90's) I started off with a Rem 600 in .35 Rem (still have it--serial # low 2000's). Probably just about perfect for the environment but of course it seemed too outdated and old and my older buddy (now my BIL) shot a .30-06 and was always telling me how anemic the .35 was!

I still remember the rifle I absolutely lusted after in my early teens was a Rem 7 in 7-08. I loved the trim size, schnabel foreend and the 7-08 seemed to be everything awesome to a young boy's mind. Read every article I could on the rifle and cartridge and mostly remember Layne Simpson singing its praises. (As a side note, I actually wrote two letters about the Rem 600 and the .35 Rem to Simpson's Q&A column in Shooting Times and had both answered in the magazine--quite a thrill for a young kid!).

Never got a Model 7 but I did eventually get a 7-08 (in a beautiful Kimber, no less) but eventually sold it and have even 'regressed' acquiring a 7x57! grin

So what was high on your wish list as a young hunter and did the dream ever come to fruition or did you move on?

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...