Back about 1955 I had the coolest Uncle in the world, my Uncle Frank.
Didn't give a sHiz 'bout nothing except hunting and fast cars.
He deer hunted the Adirondacks with an original Henry 44 cal. 17 shot rifle. My Dad use to tell me when a deer passed by his brother Frank, everyone in the Adirondacks heard him shoot that gun 'till it was empty, or the deer fell.

I was staying at my Grandfathers for a while, and one day Uncle Frank came out to shoot some kind of a gun.
He set out some targets at 100 yds, & set up a shooting bench.
I was about 8 years old, so I just climbed up a Cherry tree about 5 yards to his left, and just a slight bit behind the gun. I never heard a high power rifle go off until that day.

He touched the trigger on that old Winchester Mod. 70, and holy jeabus I 'bout crapped my pants right there.
My head was ringing, and I couldn't even cover my ears 'cause I had a death grip on that Cherry tree.
BOOM.. Off it went again, Then BOOM... God, I was in Heaven !!!

After he shot the 3 shots, I slid down the tree, and Looked at that gun in total amazement. I asked Uncle Frank "What kind of gun is that?"

"270 Winchester" He said, and I never forgot those words. I can still remember that like it was yesterday, and it was 60 years ago.
I never could afford one until I was in the Air Force, but my first Sargent sold me a brand new Remington 700 in .270 for $100.00 in 1967.

My Uncle Frank died young from Cancer, but left me a Winchester Mod.70
in 30 Govt' 06 with a barrel dated 1936 !! Ser # 2***. The .270 was a twin to it. They were both stocked by Al Biesen.

Nobody knows what ever happen to that .270 (or the Henry .44). He moved out to Utah for hunting, and it seemed to vanish..

The 30 Govt' 06

[Linked Image]

And it shoots well (on the left)

[Linked Image]

I still have the Remington .270 too.

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young