I always wanted a .270 of my own.

My dad had one during the years that he hunted and my favorite author was Jack O'Connor, so enough said there.

I acquired a brand new Rem 700 so chambered while still in high school. I still use it today.

Rifles I lusted for were the pre 64 model 70's and Sako Foresters in both rifle and carbine form.

I bought a pre 64 in .338 mag from an older elk hunting friend and used it for many years. It went to another hunter when I found myself solidly becoming an archery only elk hunter.

I ran into a Sako carbine in .243 at a gun show and bought it - it's still the only one I've ever come across. My boys and I used it to take several deer.

A bit later, my elk hunting mentor left me a Sako rifle in .243! So, not needing two .243's and wanting a handy elk thumper, I had the carbine rebored to .358 Win.

It's taken several elk and is a really great rifle. It's taken elk to 257 yards with 225 grain bullets and is way easier to carry and shoot than the .338 was.

Both of the Sako's are early models from the 60's and a joy to use.

I still "need" a custom built rifle to play with, but I doubt I'll ever follow thru with the urge.....

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....