I poured over the "Shooter's Bibles" and all of the annual manufacturer catalogs as a kid, read Outdoor Life for JOC articles as soon as we could get them overseas (USPS or at the BX)and I would accompany my dad to the base rod & gun club and range every chance I could.

There were so many choices and I had a flavor of the week, one week it was Sako, Weatherby, Steyr, Pre-64 Winchesters, Colt - Sauer.

I lusted after my dad's Sako Forester Deluxe that he bought at the base rod & gun club in 1970 for $144.00 that included the rings and the "peep" sight. He mounted a 6x Redfield "Widefield" scope on it.
That rifle is in my safe now with a 4X Leupold on it and when I'm gone the next generation will get it.

In 1975 when my dad felt it was time I should have my own rifle he took me down to the local emporium and under his direction I bought a Remington 700 BDL in 30-06, Weaver rings and bases along with a 4x Redfield scope. At first I really wanted a 270 as I was a JOC fan and he told me that with a good 30-06 and 4x scope I would be able to hunt anything in North America. I never realized his wisdom till much later in life.

StarchedCover

Last edited by StarchedCover; 04/26/15.

Semper Fi