Originally Posted by BC30cal
SNAP;
Thanks for the reply sir, I appreciate it.

What is this camo of which you speak sir??? laugh

These Crispis were leather and looked like a cross between a Kenetrek and a Meindl - all leather upper and a big Meindl type rand.

I'm totally with you on Gore Tex outer layers on boots, though they might be OK in other terrain for sure, I don't hunt elsewhere much and thus can't comment intelligently.

Honestly I've only seen a single pair of Kenetrek for sale since they reorganized sales in Canada. If they think I'm going to drop $500 on boots that I can't try on first - well never mind that sir, obviously I'm not.

I almost bought a pair of lower Lowas in Banff a few years back and in retrospect I should have. They would have been fine for most other outdoor activities and would have let me save the Meindls for hunting only.

Somehow I've come to prefer a taller boot these days as they protect me more in the shin tangle and now that I'm in my '50's I'll take all the support I can get in a boot too. Aging has had some limiting factors on where I hunt and what is being shot for sure SNAP. grin

Thanks again sir and all the best to you folks this weekend.

Dwayne

Will ditto Dwayne and SNAP's comments. I have some all leather Scarpas that have served well and still function well after three seasons of use with a few multi-day binges of rough off trail backpacking in there, though I do less of that each year of aging. Ditto to liking a higher boot nowadays and wish the Scarpa was taller.

Last spring I made a brief trip through Montana and stopped at the Kenetrek headquarters in Bozeman. I had their boot expert fit me in a pair and wrote the size right on my choice of boots in their catalog, which I brought home. When the Scarpas wear out... if I go to Kenetreks I have the size details to order. Otherwise, like Dwayne, I'd pass on paying so much for a mail order boot.