Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer
There is such a thing as "military surplus" 30-30? What army ever used it?

I picked a 100 of the surplus 30-30 Win cartridges when I picked up the gun, they are regular Remington 170 g Core-Lokt.

The Danish army kept huge stocks of almost any commercially available western (and some eastern) made calibers during the cold war. The idea was to distribute the ammunition among hunters, in the event the Russians invaded, so that they could form partisan groups (here in Denmark we have mandatory national service - I am personally not fan of that, but during the cold war it actually made sense).
During WWII, where the Danish government collaberated heavily with the German occupational forces, Danish hunters and shooters had their rifled weapons confiscated by the Danish police, who handed the weapons to the Germans(!) After the war several laws were passed, making sure that hunters' weapons were protected against such mass confiscations in the future (though in the recent years, a lot of these laws has been changed - and not to the better).

During the late 90's the Danish army started liquifying their stocks of ammunition. In the beginning they sold from it to commercial civillian suppliers - now they destroy whatever stock there is left. It was deemed imoral, by the powers that be, for the army to sell ammunition to civilians(!) Rather, instead of making a little money for the state, they prefer to decomission and destroy the surplus ammunition frown

Enjoying the simple things in life; a day out hunting, meat on the griddle, a sip of good bourbon and a night under the stars...