Originally Posted by WranglerJohn
Here is my rule #1 as regards the Ackley Improved cartridges: They are obsolete, offering nothing that a standard factory cartridge will do, and with a lot less hassle.

Currently I have three Ackley's in the safe:

.257 Roberts Ackley - the only one that really produces a bit more velocity, if only the most accurate loads were above what the standard case can do.

.22-250 Ackley - even have custom chamber matched hydraulic forming dies. Thing kills every squirrel I point it at, but best accuracy is at 3,585 fps with a 50 grain varmint Grenade - the extra capacity isn't needed.

.35-348 Ackley - just a stunt for Siamese Mauser actions, duplicates the .350 Remington Magnum with extra steps of fire forming, etc..

Today we have many more cartridges available, and a tremendous selection of powders that Ackley could only have dreamed about. Going to all that work is a waste of time, but the cases still look cool.

My rule #1 about AI cartridges: They're anywhere from a small step up to a big step up (the ones I shoot are a definite step up), an easy win-win, a performance gimme.

If Ackleys are a hassle and "all that work," you're doing it wrong. If your .257AI isn't producing 25-06 velocity, you're doing it wrong. If your 22-250AI accuracy load is only 3585 and not 500 or more fps faster, you haven't a clue about this cartridge. Blame your own ineptitude.