Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Originally Posted by beretzs
No dog in the 280 / 280 Ackley fight. I do have 7mm MSM, 7mm WSM, and 7x57 though.

The MSM has been a piece of cake to work with. FF loads do right around 3200 in my rifle.

[Linked Image]

160 ABs run right at 3200 for me.

[Linked Image]

They shoot pretty decent for me.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Same for the 160 PT's

[Linked Image]

175 PT's are running around 3050 or so for me.

[img]http://i723.photobucket.com/al...-99AE-A5B2ED5D5FE8_zps5vmcgsf3.jpg[/img]

Still sorting the seating depth out a little

[img]http://i723.photobucket.com/al...-A1AD-E6D689B30A94_zpsumw6oa8e.jpg[/img]

Just an old beater M70 XTR I had punched out..

[img]http://i723.photobucket.com/al...-88B6-81F27EA81BDE_zpsijdferhq.jpg[/img]

This rifle has been pretty easy to work with. The 280/280 Improved and WSM are all great cartridges, but the MSM has been pretty easy to work with all in all. Responded pretty well across the board and seems to be an easy deal. I guess to me, it feels like a 7mm Rem Mag Improved. Longer neck, more case space and cases seem to last forever. I am crowding on 10 firings of my original 50 Hornady cases.

beretzs . . . thanks for posting this.

It gives me a chance to clarify my postings on this.

I think the Mashburn is a great round, and I hope to work with one someday.

I personally would far prefer it to any 7 magnum with greater case capacity (STW, RUM, etc.)

The only reason I even posted on this thread is because another member seems obsessed with perpetually dissing the 280AI, while never missing a chance to sing the praises of the 7 Mashburn.

Everybody knows that the two rounds are not equivalent, with the Mashburn having much greater capacity.

But both rounds offer advantages over very similar (and popular) rounds, and the conclusion that one is useless while the other is somehow indispensable needs to be defended. That's why I brought up the Mashburn. Not due to a dislike for what appears to be a very fine cartridge.

I realize that in this case it just comes down to a certain member's love affair with the 270. I imagine that he breathed a sigh of relief when the 280 was underloaded at it's birth. Disregarding all of the measurables favoring the 280 was made much easier.

The SAAMI 280AI changed the situation, and for him I think it's a hard pill to swallow.

Great post Whelen,

Not everyone seems to like the Ackley IMP rounds. I have had a loaded for four of them 223, 22-250, 30-06 and 338-06 all gained appx 100 fps from the factory chambering.From the work I've done with them, they do work better with heavy for caliber bullets.Some took time to find the right powder and bullet combo. The 06 to me was the easiest to find max gain .Bullets were 180 grain
Ackleys arent for everyone, but if you looking for a little boost its a great place to start plus your eliminating the trimming stage of reloading and still have the advantage of shooting factory ammo