Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I'm a subscriber to the Backfire channel. I saw these vids as they were published, and thought they might be worth sharing here.

In the first vid, released about a month ago, A guy got humbled pretty good, after believing he would shoot 100% hits. It comes across as a good reality check for anybody who has mastered the 'theory' of LR shooting, but has little field experience,

In the more recent vid, a few experienced shooters step up to the plate, and give it a go,

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I'm a subscriber to the Backfire channel. I saw these vids as they were published, and thought they might be worth sharing here.

In the first vid, released about a month ago, A guy got humbled pretty good, after believing he would shoot 100% hits. It comes across as a good reality check for anybody who has mastered the 'theory' of LR shooting, but has little field experience,

In the more recent vid, a few experienced shooters step up to the plate, and give it a go,

In the first vid, I saw a ton of misses to the left. If you go to 5:22 and look at his zero target, his group is about .75 moa left. That was part of what was killing him at distance.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
In the first vid, I saw a ton of misses to the left. If you go to 5:22 and look at his zero target, his group is about .75 moa left. That was part of what was killing him at distance.

That and peeking over the top of the scope before the gun went off. I'm guilty of that when I get recoil fatigue. I also do it if I allow myself to be rushed, but, I add in yanking the trigger and rolling my shoulder into recoil. It's the "I'm gonna miss trifecta".

Last edited by horse1; 04/09/24.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by horse1

That and peeking over the top of the scope before the gun went off. I'm guilty of that when I get recoil fatigue. I also do it if I allow myself to be rushed, but, I add in yanking the trigger and rolling my shoulder into recoil. It's the "I'm gonna miss trifecta".

I can see that.

I still like my heavy-ish 308s, with muzzle brakes.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I went right to the second video and quit watching after about 90 seconds when the dude shooting is obviously so much of a rookie that he has no clue how to fire a rifle from prone

No rear bag and left hand on the fore end

Pathetic

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The three guys never claimed to be expert shooters. Just volunteers.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
The three guys never claimed to be expert shooters. Just volunteers.

Yeah, I don't have any condescension toward them at all. They were willing to test themselves very publicly. There's always something to learn from seeing others in challenging conditions.

I'm not a long range hunter, but I do enjoy the long range shooting. In field conditions, getting good range data, and building a steady position are really important. I always use a beanbag aft.

Also I always wear long sleeves, and carry elbow pads in my kit. Hard to be comfortable when your elbows are bleeding from rocks, cactus, etc.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Generally I have a 9-13" Harris up front, but I also have a 13-25" in my kit. The tall bipod is a quick swap, and really nice in forward slope situations, or getting above vegetation.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Shot my 308/175 @ 500 last month at a 10" plate. Dialed the number, first shot cold bore hit. Thought this is gonna be too easy. Then the wind went 15+ mph. Thought again, I can deal with this.
But the wind had other ideas as it couldn't decide what direction to go & I got my ass kicked.

Laser ranging, good ballistic charts, predictable scope adjustments can make anybody a star,,,, on a calm day. But Mr. wind separates the men from the boys.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Shooting Long Range is my hobby in the off season, anyone can dial up but the wind is voodoo, learning the wind is a full time job, but it's fun when you get it. Rio7

Last edited by RIO7; 04/10/24.
1 member likes this: Deere_Man
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
The wind is the great equalizer. It doesn't care how much you spent on your rifle, optics, or any other gizmos.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In the video with the guy at the bench shooting 10 jugs, I see him put his left hand (a few fingers) over the butt in front of his cheek weld. Interesting. I have never seen this form. Can someone elaborate? Does this work well with harder kicking rifles? I would like to see this form up closer if anyone has a link.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Was on the way over here to post this.

Long Range Hunting - without the concrete bench and Lead-Sled.

Reality - is.

[.270 Winchester laughing]

GR

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That was interesting. I've done some simulated shooting like that and for me, I'm not cool past 400 under about any scenario. Prone, rock steady, no wind, I'd feel pretty fairly confident but given all the varying positions and angles, I'm a watcher, not a shooter. I know guys that could prob do better than the 4 guys in both the videos but I'm not one of them. Keep everything sub 200 and it gets way easier grin

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I saw that video a little while back. It's an excellent example of the lies a lot of us tell ourselves.

I really enjoy shooting out to 1000 yards (about as far as I can get) but I've realized about 450 and in is where I can consistently make hits in field conditions.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just gonna leave this here.

Good rifle. Good scope. Lots of practice.

Nobody in Backfires videos has any of that stuff.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I think it had to be a factory rifle, didn't it?

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

LOL.

Why?

John Burns

I have all the sources.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dude270
I saw that video a little while back. It's an excellent example of the lies a lot of us tell ourselves.

I really enjoy shooting out to 1000 yards (about as far as I can get) but I've realized about 450 and in is where I can consistently make hits in field conditions.

It may be "lies", for some guys that don't shoot that far very often. A lot of guys have a hard time shooting 100 yards. Then again, there are a lot of guys I know that don't have any issue at all shooting at 600 yards. As an example, one of the targets I shoot at, in competition, is a rabbit silhouette at 611 yards. No rear rest and from the prone, off a pack or bipod. 400-500 yards is short range, for some guys. That's where I set the steel chucks at, and they are only 3" wide. At 400 yards, a good shooter and rifle should produce sub 1" groups. Even most of my hunting rifles will shoot 2" groups at 400 yards. It's really not that far of a shot, if you are set up right.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The backfire guy is a skinny-fat beta male that survives off of clickbait. Dude is clueless.

Follow a youtube channel worth a dam

thlr.no

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 04/11/24.
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I personally would not have chosen the 300 win mag for a 100 shot challenge. Interesting video.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
I went right to the second video and quit watching after about 90 seconds when the dude shooting is obviously so much of a rookie that he has no clue how to fire a rifle from prone

Pathetic

Same.
The Burns vid. I don't think people realize the wind there. Looked a little stiff from the grass blowing in the background. Pretty damn good shot. Specially at something breathing.
Also, the factory tikka a the vortex or whatever with factory ammo in some of the vids? Yea.....not gonna happen.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Plus the first dude gets busted right between his running lights while 'sighting in' or whatever.....lmao

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

It may be "lies", for some guys that don't shoot that far very often. A lot of guys have a hard time shooting 100 yards. Then again, there are a lot of guys I know that don't have any issue at all shooting at 600 yards. As an example, one of the targets I shoot at, in competition, is a rabbit silhouette at 611 yards. No rear rest and from the prone, off a pack or bipod. 400-500 yards is short range, for some guys. That's where I set the steel chucks at, and they are only 3" wide. At 400 yards, a good shooter and rifle should produce sub 1" groups. Even most of my hunting rifles will shoot 2" groups at 400 yards. It's really not that far of a shot, if you are set up right.

I agree with you 100%.

I'm just making the point that there are a lot of guys running around with a cheap vortex with knobs and unconfirmed dope on their rifles that absolutely believe they are somehow now 600 yard hunters even though they have never shot their rifle at a target past 100 yards.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
The backfire guy is a skinny-fat beta male that survives off of clickbait. Dude is clueless.

thlr.no

He is simply spotlighting that even confident "Long Range" shooters - can't hunt past normal ranges w/o their concrete benches and lead-sleds.

GR

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
[quote

He is simply spotlighting that even confident "Long Range" shooters - can't hunt past normal ranges w/o their concrete benches and lead-sleds. This ^^^^^^^^^^^^

GR[/quote]

You might add laying on your belly like Lizard, if you can't shoot without laying down you might as well stay home and take a nap Rio7

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am guessing that the width of a gallon of milk is around 6 inches wide and around 9 or 10" high.
I know we have some high shoulder shooters and then we have heart lung shooters. When you take those two areas for a width, the dimensions (not milk jug for sure), are going to be different-Definitely wider.
Then when you start talking different big game animals, the kill zones will vary as well.
People who hunt at distance, who are good at it, do not make distance alone the deciding factor of whether to shoot or not.
It is just one of many.

If you took 2 good shooters/similar rifles and ballistics levels and have them shoot the same course on two different times or in two different conditions.
One condition is the closest thing to a dead calm, while the other one is wind at 15 gusting up to 30 miles per hour, and at times dropping below 10 mph.
We all know the end result.
Switch the shooters to the opposite conditions, and let them shoot the same course of fire-No surprises what the outcome will be.

The large chamberings/heavy bullets lightweight rifles will pound people to death when setting down 100 rounds at a time.
I don't know of anyone who is going to put 100 rounds with a magnum hunting rifle down at a time to practice.
Maybe some here do that though...It's possible

Do I think this is a cool challenge? Yes
Do I think I would clean it? NO
Would it be humbling at times? Yes
Would it be fun and good practice? Yes
Would I use a large magnum cartridge to shoot this challenge? NO
Do I recognize that going to a lighter kicking gun may cause me to give up a performance edge, but I will probably shoot better overall, because the gun behaves better, and is not beating me up? Yes
Do I run 100 rounds plus fouling shots between cleanings on large case capacity cartridges or shoot that many rounds at a time? NO

I have watched several of his videos and enjoyed them

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Damn, the wind demons are bad enough, but, you've GOT to start with hitting dead center at 100, it's a goat roping [bleep] if you don't, great vids, Thanks MM.

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RIO7
Originally Posted by Garandimal
He is simply spotlighting that even confident "Long Range" shooters - can't hunt past normal ranges w/o their concrete benches and lead-sleds.

GR

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^

You might add laying on your belly like Lizard, if you can't shoot without laying down you might as well stay home and take a nap Rio7

Standing-to-Sitting/sling/5-second interval - no bi-pod or rangefinder.

That determines a rifleman's hunting range.

It would be a clown-show to watch any'of'm try that.

GR

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

GR
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^

It would be a clown-show to watch any'of'm try that. GR

It determines your definition of a rifleman's hunting range...I am good with that.
Enjoy your definition and time frame.
If I can't get in a steady/solid enough position before the animal moves, I don't pull the trigger, and the animals lives at least for awhile longer.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

GR

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^

GR

I agree with that and being a 'rifleman' and a great shot under hunting circumstances. We are talking long range here. Like past 600 is what I consider long range. That's gonna require what Rio calls "the lizard position" and some rear stock support, a damn good rig, and some serious optics to consistently pop your target. If I were to take that guy up on his challenge, which 100 shots is damn near impossible to hit in a row, but I'm bringing an nxs 22 power, suppressed, front support as well as rear, and I'm shooting the ol 6.5x284. Leave the magnum at home. Out to 600, shoot, a 243 win and heavies could do that. 100 for 100 on anything is pretty tough.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Throw a time limit in there like mentioned above, yeah, that'd be a schit show.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Like watching a Jerry Lewis Telethon. Hint.

Bless their hearts...........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I thought the vids were a good demonstration of long range realities vs expectations for the vast majority of shooters.

I'm no expert by any means, but I've shot enough long range in the field, to grasp some realities.

A milk jug is a pretty small target, only about 6" wide by 8" tall if you ignore the spout area. At 500 yards, a 1 moa rifle shooting 5" groups at 500 yards, has very little room for any error in wind call, or an unstable position.

Anyhoo, sharing these vids here has brought out some good shooting discussion. Sure beats talking politics and other current events.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I get the context,but it was rough to watch and I bailed early. Hint.(grin)

The choice of equipment a bitter pill too,but very few actually have a first fhuqking clue. I've long found milk jugs to mimic critterly vital sizing and a nice barometer of equipment and conditions...but at 500yds I'm generally shooting chicken eggs! Hint.

Just dropped my Taxes off,looks like new glass arrived in the Mail and a Crazy Pard arrives tomorrow,so the stage is set for a Right Proper Spring Fling Cast & Blast if he listens. Hopefully he doesn't forget to bring card readers. It appears like Chrome is gonna cooperate and because he's not a Gun/Hunting Guy,it might could be interesting to turn him loose at LR,if only to see WTF. Rest assured it won't be a 300Mag,Vortex or Factory Fodder. 4 weeks off is a GRIND! Hint.

Just sayin'...................(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
A sporterweight 300 WinMag isn't something I'd care to shoot much (at all).

Enjoy that 4 weeks!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Coyote10

GR

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^

GR

I agree with that and being a 'rifleman' and a great shot under hunting circumstances. We are talking long range here. Like past 600 is what I consider long range. That's gonna require what Rio calls "the lizard position" and some rear stock support, a damn good rig, and some serious optics to consistently pop your target. If I were to take that guy up on his challenge, which 100 shots is damn near impossible to hit in a row, but I'm bringing an nxs 22 power, suppressed, front support as well as rear, and I'm shooting the ol 6.5x284. Leave the magnum at home. Out to 600, shoot, a 243 win and heavies could do that. 100 for 100 on anything is pretty tough.
Throw a time limit in there like mentioned above, yeah, that'd be a schit show.
Not as difficult as a 100-round practical rifle match, but similar. Cleaning a 100-round day/match is basically unheard of.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I get the context,but it was rough to watch and I bailed early. Hint.(grin)

The choice of equipment a bitter pill too,but very few actually have a first fhuqking clue. I've long found milk jugs to mimic critterly vital sizing and a nice barometer of equipment and conditions...but at 500yds I'm generally shooting chicken eggs! Hint.

Just dropped my Taxes off,looks like new glass arrived in the Mail and a Crazy Pard arrives tomorrow,so the stage is set for a Right Proper Spring Fling Cast & Blast if he listens. Hopefully he doesn't forget to bring card readers. It appears like Chrome is gonna cooperate and because he's not a Gun/Hunting Guy,it might could be interesting to turn him loose at LR,if only to see WTF. Rest assured it won't be a 300Mag,Vortex or Factory Fodder. 4 weeks off is a GRIND! Hint.

Just sayin'...................(grin)
I wanted to bail early, but stuck it out to the end for the entertainment value. grin

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

thlr.no

GR

Yes, you'd know something about that. (Hint....it's you)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I thought the vids were a good demonstration of long range realities vs expectations for the vast majority of shooters.

I'm no expert by any means, but I've shot enough long range in the field, to grasp some realities.

A milk jug is a pretty small target, only about 6" wide by 8" tall if you ignore the spout area. At 500 yards, a 1 moa rifle shooting 5" groups at 500 yards, has very little room for any error in wind call, or an unstable position.

Anyhoo, sharing these vids here has brought out some good shooting discussion. Sure beats talking politics and other current events.

I think this Challenge will have some legs and be a good thing.

What was a bit amazing was how each of those guys could not accept they did not perform very well.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

I think this Challenge will have some legs and be a good thing.

What was a bit amazing was how each of those guys could not accept they did not perform very well.
are you seeing a lot of poi shift depending on shooting posisition? Say you site in off the bench. Then shoot off a bipod prone?

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M

I noticed that too.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
he has no clue how to fire a rifle from prone

Pathetic

Somehow I’m not suprised

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Cortina's 500 yard KYl Blackjack challenge is much more interesting.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've never personally seen anybody shoot at game from a prone position in my life and I've seen a lot of game killed by a lot of people. Varmints yes but game never.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shoot from the prone position for the majority of big game animals I hunt-Actually used a rifle here.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
These are all older videos (So far away from professional), but prone is very common for me.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I've never personally seen anybody shoot at game from a prone position in my life and I've seen a lot of game killed by a lot of people. Varmints yes but game never.
That answers you bagging on LR hunters, kinda hard to shoot prone with a bow or in the brush.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

thlr.no

GR

Yes, you'd know something about that. (Hint....it's you)

Because you've shot w/ me.

No, wait... never mind.

GR

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by sherm_61
That answers you bagging on LR hunters, kinda hard to shoot prone with a bow or in the brush.
I wouldn't consider someone a good game shot if they couldn't at least consistently hit milk jugs off hand from 100 yards.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wouldn't consider someone a good game shot if they couldn't at least consistently hit milk jugs off hand from 100 yards.

"What then is a good field marksman?
In my opinion, a man who can hit a tea cup at 100 meters with his first shot,
from a field position, in a 5 second interval is a good shot.
Try this test on yourself, but do not call for witnesses.
People who talk about good shots are usually terrible liars."

- Jeff Cooper -

GR

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
You keep moving the goal posts to fit your narrative.
You obviously never have been around LR shooting at all

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
LOL. Obviously you wouldn't qualify under my criteria of a good game shot for our hunting conditions here. The trouble with you Westerners is that you think the world revolves around you and your conditions when it comes to hunting.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am not responsible or bound to anyone's criteria/definitions on the positions I shoot from, the time it takes me to shoot, or the distances.

Feel free to enjoy your own limits.

Petty or demeaning insults always moves people to change their views to adopt the ones of those doing the demeaninggrin

I always try to get as good as a supported foundation as I can get, which typically means get lower or closer to the ground.
With good tripods today, seated, double kneeling, and standing can be a very steady set-up.

After a birthday party, I decided to shoot at a unsuspecting rock at just over 500 yards (Rock was approximately 2 MOA in size) with a couple of other guys. My very first shot (Cold Bore) was about 2" low from the aiming point, my wind call was spot on.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by xphunter
I am not responsible or bound to anyone's criteria/definitions on the positions I shoot from, the time it takes me to shoot, or the distances.

Feel free to enjoy your own limits.

Petty or demeaning insults always moves people to change their views to adopt the ones of those doing the demeaninggrin

I always try to get as good as a supported foundation as I can get, which typically means get lower or closer to the ground.
With good tripods today, seated, double kneeling, and standing can be a very steady set-up.

After a birthday party, I decided to shoot at a unsuspecting rock at just over 500 yards (Rock was approximately 2 MOA in size) with a couple of other guys. My very first shot (Cold Bore) was about 2" low from the aiming point, my wind call was spot on.
If you were tying to get the best, steadiest foundation possible, you'd be using rifles with butt stocks instead of those hideous, sawed off contraptions you're using.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I understand that you seem to enjoy to demean others or somehow make them less with your words...Maybe you should give up your school yard tactics or not.
I'm sure if you just keep on engaging the way you have been here, everyone one who disagrees with you will come around to your way of thinking.

I do shoot rifles every now and again. I actually own rifles.
20 shots at 800 yards-With a rifle. i originally posted 600, but since the pic wouldn't load, I went back to put a new one on IMGUR, and saved it and it was 800 yards.

https://imgur.com/6F5RdZQ

On that same day there were two guys (who I know) who were shooting a 338 Lapua Improved at the furthest steel target that Chuck has at his range (2073 yards).
When Dan and I quit shooting my 284 Winchester rifle, they wanted me to shoot the 338.
They already had the vertical figured out, but of course wind is always changing (Still great conditions that day-Kind of obvious from my 20 round group).
They had put three hits on the steel between the two of them
They were taking forever to fire a shot after the previous one.
When I got set-up on the rifle, I fired my first shot, and it was off the left side a little bit (They had been shooting it already so the wind correction was close). It has been to long ago to remember exactly how many MOA, but I saw the impact through the scope, made an immediate correction, cycling the bolt as fast I could and put two more shots down range. The two hits at 10 and a 1 just above the white bull were my shots.
They were shocked why I shot my last two shots so quickly. I explained I wanted all of my shots to be in the same condition. They were kinds of new to distance at that time, and really hadn't thought about it that way

I am not the best, and don't claim to be, but I shoot okay with my specialty pistols...Many of which are Remington XP-100's (They came out in the early 60's).

So, you are upset that I can shoot good without a buttstock? That's funny!
So, now you are berating someone who can shoot good, because it is different than you or it doesn't look good to you or you can't do it yourself?
I shoot and hunt the way I want, because I can and I enjoy it-It's fun!

Head this way and I will let you shoot some of my specialty pistols.
Once you get some basic fundamentals down, you may even surprise yourself what you can do at distance.
I will take you out to Mac's...About 15-20 minute drive south of Gillette.

Last edited by xphunter; 04/12/24. Reason: Can't get picture to post

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
What you're doing is constantly grandstanding and the fact that you're filming your hunts/shooting proves that beyond a doubt. I've never hunted with anybody who carries a camera afield, much less a video camera. I have photos of some of the game I've killed over the years and every one was taken after getting back to camp or home. I refuse to carry a camera around on a hunt. I have no interest in packing around a stockless rifle either.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, I have filmed a few of them...Beyond a shadow of a doubt
People want proof that guys who hunt at distance shoot from the prone.
It is quite common around here.
Someone gives proof...Oh you are grandstanding Ha! You gotta love it!
It is quite evident, even when someone responds to a comment with evidence, you will find a way to tear it down or attempt to negate it.

Never hunted with anyone who had a camera with them...Does your phone have a camera or video in it???

Even though you are irritating, I have more pity for you than anything else.
If this is your public posture, I don't even want to know how dark your heart is.
I hope your day is much better than your words.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just reloaded the 800 yard target, that I shot with my 284 Winchester. Hopefully it works

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just reloaded the 800 yard target, that I shot with my 284 Winchester. Hopefully it works

Ya gotta love that!

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Ya gotta love that!

Yes!
Days with conditions like that don't happen every day.
Yep, and I am shooting my 284 Winchester F-Open rifle, that I used for the Nationals and the worlds, when the US hosted the worlds down at the Whittington Center outside of Raton. I just noticed I was wearing the cap from that match.
Seb flew in from Indonesia. He shot TR and I shot Open, and then I also was invited to be a member of TR team, so I shot TR (308 Winchester) for the team match.
That was the first time I had ever compete with a rifle.
Erik Cortina and some other guys asked me why I wasn't shooting with one of my XP-100's...My answer was, "It is not legal. It has to be a shoulder fired weapon."
I had a lot of fun, and got to meet a lot of great men and women!

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Ya gotta love that!

Yes!
Yep, and I am shooting my 284 Winchester F-Open rifle, that I used for the Nationals and the worlds, when the US hosted the worlds down at the Whittington Center outside of Raton. I just noticed I was wearing the cap from that match.
Seb flew in from Indonesia. He shot TR and I shot Open, and then I also was invited to be a member of TR team, so I shot TR (308 Winchester) for the team match.
Erik Cortina and some other guys asked me why I wasn't shooting with one of my XP-100's...My answer was, "It is not legal. It has to be a shoulder fired weapon."
For those not aware, an F/O target has a 1MOA bull, and a 1/2 MOA Vbull, regardless of the range.
Max 22 pound rifle with anything attached .It is much harder to put 10 or 15 into the VBull than some people on the internet say it is!
That is some tight shooting xphunter!
How did you make out with the TR rifle , that is what I shoot :>)
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It is quite evident, even when someone responds to a comment with evidence, you will find a way to tear it down or attempt to negate it.

Never hunted with anyone who had a camera with them...Does your phone have a camera or video in it???

If this is your public posture, I don't even want to know how dark your heart is.
Not much point carrying a phone into places with no cell service. I got all the proof of my marksmanship abilities I needed on the firing lines of the many local, state and regional competitions I participated in.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good for you BH

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by catnthehat

Ya gotta love that!

Yes!
For those not aware, an F/O target has a 1MOA bull, and a 1/2 MOA Vbull, regardless of the range.
Max 22 pound rifle with anything attached .It is much harder to put 10 or 15 into the VBull than some people on the internet say it is!
That is some tight shooting xphunter!
How did you make out with the TR rifle , that is what I shoot :>)
Cat

Cat,
It is the only time I have shot F-Class (weekends are busy for me typically). Truth be known, I was more nervous about scoring someone wrong and not being fast enough in the pits.
I had never done either of these things before. I was fortunate to have an experienced shooter the first day (Jason is a TR Shooter-He is also now a SEB dealer in Australia), and he helped with scoring and the pits.
My goal before we got there for open was to shoot clean. My first day I made several rookie mistakes in one relay, doing three things wrong. Once I got that out of my system, things got better. On the the second morning, my cold bore shot at a grand was a "X". I should have sent a confirming shot (Another X) and went to record score. By the time I started I still shot good = Clean 6X. I made my goal-I was ecstatic.
We ran Sightron S-III's on both rifles. Open was the 8-32, and the TR was the 10-50.
They accidentally placed our TR team with the Open teams, so it took us awhile to find our scores. I don't remember our team score, but our captain told us we beat the Team USA #2.

Pic of the rifle while doing some 100 yard load development (didn't use this scope for the match)
Dan did some load development for Seb several years ago, as Seb was coming over for the SWN (South West Nationals), to shoot TR, and here was his 5-round group at 600 yards with a called flyer.
200.20X/Varget

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It was bitter cold (Sub Zero) when Dan was doing the load development with the 200.20X Berger's a little over 4 years ago.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OH DANG! When you said "TR" I thought you meant " target rifle " ( irons'n'sling) NOT " F/TR" ( 18 pounds and either .223 or 308) LOL
Sorry for my confusion !Sounds like you had a heckuva time in any case!
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
OH DANG! When you said "TR" I thought you meant " target rifle " ( irons'n'sling) NOT " F/TR" ( 18 pounds and either .223 or 308) LOL
Cat

I should have said F-TR...I was being lazy I guess with my typing. The good ole 3-O-Late or is it the 3-O-Wait grin

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
LOL. Obviously you wouldn't qualify under my criteria of a good game shot for our hunting conditions here. The trouble with you Westerners is that you think the world revolves around you and your conditions when it comes to hunting.
I hope all you easterners are not like you because nobody measures up to you besides you LMAO

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Long Range HUNTING:

Range - degrades accuracy Exponentially.

A Hunter - always tries to get closer.

They are not shooting back at you, so you don't need that defensive position.

Get closer.

Long Range Hunting - is a bastard mutation of long range shooting.

Swapping paper for live animals carries a responsibility Long Range Hunters neglect.

Case in point:

Originally Posted by XXX
My boss keeps a ledger board for all the big game kilt on the ranch....

... He was so wanting the new ranch record, that he didn't score until the last week of our damage season, passing up lottsa does every weekend less than my 850. But it worked out good for him the other day. The wind was way less than saturday, and the goats moved into a pasture that allowed him a longer poke. 952 yards prone from a bipod, but the wind bit him just a little. Spined her just in front of the hips while trying to slip one behind her shoulder, but it all worked out for him. Congats, Cortland. You earned it, kid.....

They have a screw loose.

One can possibly excuse a bad shot due to poor Marksmanship.

One should not excuse a bad shot due to poor choices.

GR

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I hope all you easterners are not like you because nobody measures up to you besides you LMAO
You fuucktards only judge how accomplished a marksman/hunter is by how far they can shoot. I don't think you're much of a hunter if you regularly have to shoot far or much of a marksman if you have to be prone with rest and/or use a bipod to hit anything.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Well fuggtard when you can't see past 50 yards its pretty easy to shoot free hand BUT you wouldn't know anything about hunting the praires or above timberline.
Please tell us about all your 5,6,7,8,9,10,000 feet hunting experiences in Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, Nevada and you shot all kinds of [bleep] free hand.

Last edited by sherm_61; 04/12/24.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
For somebody who hates LR hunting you sure spend alot time on this thread, trying to learn something I suspect.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A Hunter - always tries to get closer

GR

I guess I'm not a hunter. I take the first legal animal at the range I find it.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well fuggtard when you can't see past 50 yards its pretty easy to shoot free hand BUT you wouldn't know anything about hunting the praires or above timberline.
Please tell us about all your 5,6,7,8,9,10,000 feet hunting experiences in Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, Nevada.
I hunted a shotgun zone that was open farm land with huge crop fields for many years. This was back in the days before rifled barrels and sabot slugs and I still killed multiple deer every season. Sure I saw deer that were beyond the capabilities of my smooth bore and rifled slugs. I learned to hunt and filled multiple tags every year anyway. Later I hunted a couple farms that offered longer shots in the rifle zone. While hunting there I killed several deer between 300 and 440 yards. One at just over 300 was with iron sights so maybe I can shoot a little past 50 yards if I want to. Anymore I just don't have a need to shoot very far and don't really want to. I haven't taken a shot over 300 yards in almost 30 years.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cat

I should have said F-TR...I was being lazy I guess with my typing. The good ole 3-O-Late or is it the 3-O-Wait grin

That would be the 3-0-GREAT! wink

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
For somebody who hates LR hunting you sure spend alot time on this thread, trying to learn something I suspect.

Were you really responding to MontanaMarine here?

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

LOL.

Why?
I think the Backfire challenge required a factory rifle

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MikeS
Cat

That would be the 3-0-GREAT! wink

Well Said!

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Be willing to bet the people who bash the LR stuff are from the east and never have or will go out west. Swear by their pump rifles and 35 Whelens or what ever the heck of a straight wall cartridge floats their boat. They have no idea how hard the wind blows out here and how open the country is. I watched guys at an elk camp while sighting in their ol trusty blued rifles who couldn't even hit an 8 inch gong at 200 because they'd rather stalk closer and think 250 is long range. Go draw a tag and spend a ton of money to go hunt and have a 7 power on top of an 06. You'll find your theory of stalking closer and being a better hunter ain't gonna work out too good in most cases. Actually way more often not. I'm biased because I live in this type of country and I dial. What people don't talk about enough is optics. That's the most important part of equipment you can own. My comfort zone is to be at least 250 to 300 from whatever I kill. It creates a low pressure environment for the shooter and the animal. I do however limit myself to what I think is ethical and I use common sense while in the field. I have rifles that I am totally confident in to 1000. Never taken game at 1000, but many out past 5 and 600. LR hunting or shooting is not for everybody, but it's something that applies to the region you live. Also it helps to have a cartridge that can dump enough energy with adequate velocity for bullet performance at these ranges. It's all common sense.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Be willing to bet the people who bash the LR stuff are from the east and never have or will go out west. Swear by their pump rifles and 35 Whelens or what ever the heck of a straight wall cartridge floats their boat. They have no idea how hard the wind blows out here and how open the country is. I watched guys at an elk camp while sighting in their ol trusty blued rifles who couldn't even hit an 8 inch gong at 200 because they'd rather stalk closer and think 250 is long range. Go draw a tag and spend a ton of money to go hunt and have a 7 power on top of an 06. You'll find your theory of stalking closer and being a better hunter ain't gonna work out too good in most cases. Actually way more often not. I'm biased because I live in this type of country and I dial. What people don't talk about enough is optics. That's the most important part of equipment you can own. My comfort zone is to be at least 250 to 300 from whatever I kill. It creates a low pressure environment for the shooter and the animal. I do however limit myself to what I think is ethical and I use common sense while in the field. I have rifles that I am totally confident in to 1000. Never taken game at 1000, but many out past 5 and 600. LR hunting or shooting is not for everybody, but it's something that applies to the region you live. Also it helps to have a cartridge that can dump enough energy with adequate velocity for bullet performance at these ranges. It's all common sense.

Watch it man! I resemble your Whelen, pump gun, low powered scope example grin

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Its funny most who bag on LR hunting never have hardly ever hunted higher than sea level let alone any kind of mountain, wilderness etc its like comparing a pea to a watermelon. You notice Blackheart never answered my question about it, tried to compare hunting a cow, crop field whatever pasture
what a fugging joke.

Last edited by sherm_61; 04/13/24.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Your right Beretz. Nothing wrong with a Whelen or 06. I know you've spent many weeks in the rockies and that 7 mash has dumped alot of elk! Always enjoy your pics and videos from your elk adventures. Would love to see you get on a antelope in the near future!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've taken deer past 700yds and inside of 20yds. Standing, trotting, running full-out. Off-hand, kneeling, sitting, prone, rested on rocks, fence-posts, bi-pods, propped up binocs, crossed rattling antlers, backpacks laid-down or stood up, Y-branches in trees/heavy brush. Grew up doing deer-drives down tree-rows, through CRP and cattails, even some standing row-crops when a couple of farmers hunted with us prior to elevated shooting houses becoming ubiquitous on the Northern Plains. Anymore, about the only time we "push" cover is when we've seen a critter bed in cover and have a way to get on him where someone also has a good chance at a high-percentage shot.

Some people like to put lots of tools into their tool-box. Some people are toolbags.

Last edited by horse1; 04/13/24.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Some people like to put lots of tools into their tool-box. Some people are toolbags.

A couple "bromides"

Proper planning/practice prevents poor performance........

When you know you know, and you know you know, confidence replaces fear.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've been all over the West, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, Oregon and Washington and don't own a pump rifle or a .35 Whelen so you lost your bet. I know how hard the wind blows and how open the country is. I didn't hunt while there. Was on vacation with the wife but I did see and get closer than 500 yards to lots of game in the 6 weeks we were out there, including mule and whitetail deer, pronghorn, elk and moose.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've been all over the West, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, Oregon and Washington and don't own a pump rifle or a .35 Whelen so you lost your bet. I know how hard the wind blows and how open the country is. I didn't hunt while there. Was on vacation with the wife but I did see and get closer than 500 yards to lots of game in the 6 weeks we were out there, including mule and whitetail deer, pronghorn, elk and moose.

You should try it when the general rifle season open and you actually have a tag in your pocket.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've taken deer past 700yds and inside of 20yds. Standing, trotting, running full-out. Off-hand, kneeling, sitting, prone, rested on rocks, fence-posts, bi-pods, propped up binocs, crossed rattling antlers, backpacks laid-down or stood up, Y-branches in trees/heavy brush. Grew up doing deer-drives down tree-rows, through CRP and cattails, even some standing row-crops when a couple of farmers hunted with us prior to elevated shooting houses becoming ubiquitous on the Northern Plains. Anymore, about the only time we "push" cover is when we've seen a critter bed in cover and have a way to get on him where someone also has a good chance at a high-percentage shot.

Same here Horse. Seems like people paint with a broad brush.

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S

You should try it when the general rifle season open and you actually have a tag in your pocket.

No $HIT!!! hes been around the west on vacation you just can't make this [bleep] up. Got under 500 yards hahaha ha when he started it was 100 yards.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

You think it isn't the same way here ? LOL.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S

You think it isn't the same way here ? LOL.
Not a chance, come on out anytime and show us how its done just let me know i wanna see it.
How many mountains have you climbed 1500-2000 vertical feet while hunting wanna see you off hand then just let me know ill take you to a spot a killed a 200" muley you just let me know ya gotta climb 2000'

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Last fall I hunted Region G in Wyoming camped in my wall tent at 7800' and every morning climbed to 9500' have you ever dont that in your life Blackheart? Come on out and try it once then tell me when a good buck jumps up your gonna shoot off hand while your blowing your lungs out.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

No $HIT!!! hes been around the west on vacation you just can't make this [bleep] up. Got under 500 yards hahaha ha when he started it was 100 yards.
Sherm, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you're a little douchebag. Take away your crutches aka rests, bi pods and I'd whip your ass offhand, kneeling or sitting with no rest any day and twice on Sunday. As a matter of fact, I got within 25 yards of moose in the bitteroots and within 50 yards of mule deer and whitetails in South Dakata, Montana and Idaho.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Its the same in the east in a cow pasture hunting isn't it.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S

Sherm, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you're a little douchebag. Take away your crutches aka rests, bi pods and I'd whip your ass offhand, kneeling or sitting with no rest any day and twice on Sunday. As a matter of fact, I got within 25 yards of moose in the bitteroots and within 50 yards of mule deer and whitetails in South Dakata, Montana and Idaho.

I love it when the name calling starts because you know I'm right because that's all you got.
The invite is open just let me know

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Last fall I hunted Region G in Wyoming camped in my wall tent at 7800' and every morning climbed to 9500' have you ever dont that in your life Blackheart? Come on out and try it once then tell me when a good buck jumps up your gonna shoot off hand while your blowing your lungs out.
I've tent camped and tracked deer 10 miles a day in the Adirondacks. How about you ? The fact is, you have no clue what it's like here. At least I've been there.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S

To be the bearer of bad news I had a moose just about run me over at 5 yards in the Selway Wilderness

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I've tent camped and tracked deer 10 miles in a day in the Adirondacks. How about you ? The fact is, you have no clue what it's like here. At least I've been there.
Your a joke

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Wow you've tent camped out of the back of a pickup your killing it.
How does Stick say it " Bless your heart for trying" LOL

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've tent camped and tracked deer 10 miles in a day in the Adirondacks. How about you ? The fact is, you have no clue what it's like here. At least I've been there.
Your a joke
I'm not the one making up every excuse in the book for having to shoot game at long range.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I keep hearing comments that are intended to be derogatory toward anyone that kills an animal a distance. And in those comments, he will hear statements like a true rifleman, or an ethical hunter, etc…

Comments like you should be able to shoot offhand under a certain period of time. Or comments that are condemning to those who are different than them, they need a concrete bench or a ledge sled.

Seriously gentleman, do you really believe what you’re shoveling?
There is no doubt that there are inadequate, slob hunters , or whatever definition you wanna make on people who hunt at short range, mid range, and at long range. And this would be true, regardless of the type of weapon they choose to hunt with.

There are a multitude of definitions of what a true rifleman is.
I’m pretty sure that the definition of a hunter has changed over the last 500 years, and then when you want to make that definition and bring it out to other countries, that definition would even have more diversity.

Choose the one you like, or to find it for yourself.

The foolishness of you gentlemen, who are condemning others who are different than you, while at the same time being so self-righteous.

I’m just curious if you really believe in your heart that your words are so meaningful to the others who are different than you?

I wonder….if the same men would consider the top-tier SF and government snipers as true rifleman?

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I agree with you 100%.

I'm just making the point that there are a lot of guys running around with a cheap vortex with knobs and unconfirmed dope on their rifles that absolutely believe they are somehow now 600 yard hunters even though they have never shot their rifle at a target past 100 yards.

Good point.. I'm sure a lot of us have seen that.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Some of you folks remind me of drivers. Any one driving slower that you is a Sunday driver or a blue hair that shouldn't be allowed on the road, anyone driving faster is a dangerous idiot. We all seem to be experts at something.

Elevation is math
Windage is Voodoo
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I keep hearing comments that are intended to be derogatory toward anyone that kills an animal a distance. And in those comments, he will hear statements like a true rifleman, or an ethical hunter, etc…

Comments like you should be able to shoot offhand under a certain period of time. Or comments that are condemning to those who are different than them, they need a concrete bench or a ledge sled.

Seriously gentleman, do you really believe what you’re shoveling?
There is no doubt that there are inadequate, slob hunters , or whatever definition you wanna make on people who hunt at short range, mid range, and at long range. And this would be true, regardless of the type of weapon they choose to hunt with.

There are a multitude of definitions of what a true rifleman is.
I’m pretty sure that the definition of a hunter has changed over the last 500 years, and then when you want to make that definition and bring it out to other countries, that definition would even have more diversity.

Choose the one you like, or to find it for yourself.

The foolishness of you gentlemen, who are condemning others who are different than you, while at the same time being so self-righteous.

I’m just curious if you really believe in your heart that your words are so meaningful to the others who are different than you?

I wonder….if the same men would consider the top-tier SF and government snipers as true rifleman?

Great post XP hunter. I think maybe we need to be very aware of our own capabilities. We should all know those, and don't overstep those capabilities. I like to be sure of my shot, it doesn't matter what distance I'm shooting, I generally know if I can or can't make the shot. I've passed up some nice bucks and elk because I know my own abilities, and the shot just wasn't there!!!. Sometimes shooting in a blowing windstorm/rain storm, or in the snow, even a 100-200 yard shot off the hind legs may not be doable. Practice at all distances, and in different positions, is the only way we are going to know our own capabilities. How many guys actually are out there pulling the trigger that much though? I know I am, but what about the majority of the guys here??? How many really shoot "longrange" every week??? How many here shoot in longrange competitions, or even fun online challenges? Or how many just want to pat themselves on the back, when they shoot a 1/2" 3 shot group at 100 yards??

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Pint Creamer Carton Challenge by Blackheart YT Channel

So, I've just spent an hour of my life which I will never get back googling the size of elk vitals vs. whitetail vitals, calculating the area of various diameter circles vs. the area of a milk jug, measuring the smallest dimension of a milk jug (5 3/4 inches) vs. other containers in my fridge (3 inches for a pint carton) vs. the max group size to hit said objects 100% of the time, comparing the oblongish shape of said vitals vs. the uprightish shape of milk jugs and other containers in my fridge and I've come to the science-based conclusion that elk vitals are to a milk jug what whitetail vitals are to a pint of 1/2 & 1/2.

Soooo, given my fellow Easterner, Blackheart's contention that a rifleman can hit a milk jug regularly off-hand at 100 yards (despite Blackheart's contrary and caustic personality, I agree with almost 50% of what he says including this)(sherm_61, quite a few BH types out here but, in-person if you just give them their schitt right back at them, they're mostly pussy cats and sometimes pretty decent dudes), hows about we do an Eastern Challenge: 100 pint creamer cartons set up in the woods at from 50 to 125 yards to be shot off-hand? My money says Mr. Blackheart struggles to put up numbers equal to the Backfire cast of characters on their milk jugs. Then extrapolating from BH's conclusion, we can say that nobody should shoot at elk more than 200 yards away and deer at more than 50 yards. laugh

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've tent camped and tracked deer 10 miles a day in the Adirondacks. How about you ? The fact is, you have no clue what it's like here. At least I've been there.

How do you know you tracked the deer 10Mi?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 1eyedmule

So, I've just spent an hour of my life which I will never get back googling the size of elk vitals vs. whitetail vitals, calculating the area of various diameter circles vs. the area of a milk jug, measuring the smallest dimension of a milk jug (5 3/4 inches) vs. other containers in my fridge (3 inches for a pint carton) vs. the max group size to hit said objects 100% of the time, comparing the oblongish shape of said vitals vs. the uprightish shape of milk jugs and other containers in my fridge and I've come to the science-based conclusion that elk vitals are to a milk jug what whitetail vitals are to a pint of 1/2 & 1/2.

Soooo, given my fellow Easterner, Blackheart's contention that a rifleman can hit a milk jug regularly off-hand at 100 yards (despite Blackheart's contrary and caustic personality, I agree with almost 50% of what he says including this)(sherm_61, quite a few BH types out here but, in-person if you just give them their schitt right back at them, they're mostly pussy cats and sometimes pretty decent dudes), hows about we do an Eastern Challenge: 100 pint creamer cartons set up in the woods at from 50 to 125 yards to be shot off-hand? My money says Mr. Blackheart struggles to put up numbers equal to the Backfire cast of characters on their milk jugs. Then extrapolating from BH's conclusion, we can say that nobody should shoot at elk more than 200 yards away and deer at more than 50 yards. laugh
Point one, I rarely shoot at deer more than 75 yards away. Point 2, I practice shooting offhand through spring, summer and fall from 65 yards {all I have in my back yard} and can consistently hit a 2" target at that range. How consistently ? My son and I have weekend competitions where one of us shoots at a 2" target until we miss, then the other shoots until a miss. My record is 78 times in a row. Point 3, each season a day or two before the opener I step out back and put a couple groups on paper offhand with the rifle I'll be hunting with. Last season I shot two 3 shot groups from 50 yards. The first 3 shot group measured 3/4". The "second 3 shot group a hair over an inch. At 6:58 the next morning, I shot a buck offhand from approximately 45 yards. Not surprisingly I hit him exactly where I intended. A whitetails vitals or a milk jug at 100 is comparatively easy.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Been there. Done that. Loved it. Can't wait til fall to do it again. It's hard as schit. Mentally drains you and physically whoops your azz. And I'm in damn good shape!

Helps to be able to dial and shoot beyond 500. Big time!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 1eyedmule

Point one, I rarely shoot at deer more than 75 yards away. Point 2, I practice shooting offhand through spring, summer and fall from 65 yards {all I have in my back yard} and can consistently hit a 2" target at that range. How consistently ? My son and I have weekend competitions where one of us shoots at a 2" target until we miss, then the other shoots until a miss. My record is 78 times in a row. Point 3, each season a day or two before the opener I step out back and put a couple groups on paper offhand with the rifle I'll be hunting with. Last season I shot two 3 shot groups from 50 yards. The first 3 shot group measured 3/4". The "second 3 shot group a hair over an inch. At 6:58 the next morning, I shot a buck offhand from approximately 45 yards. Not surprisingly I hit him exactly where I intended. A whitetails vitals or a milk jug at 100 is comparatively easy.

That's some awesome marksmanship, my friend, certainly better than I'm capable of. But, you're missing my point.

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
First, I have to give those four guys a ton of credit for putting themselves out there, and Harmer for setting up some pretty realistic challenges in the field.

Those two videos pretty much affirm my experience and observation when it comes to shooting longer ranges in the field, the biggest are the abilities to accurately range and dope wind.

I'm sure there are now at least 5000 viewers of those videos who all beleive they could do a lot better.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
First, I have to give those four guys a ton of credit for putting themselves out there, and Harmer for setting up some pretty realistic challenges in the field.

Those two videos pretty much affirm my experience and observation when it comes to shooting longer ranges in the field, the biggest are the abilities to accurately range and dope wind.

I'm sure there are now at least 5000 viewers of those videos who all beleive they could do a lot better.

The problem is at the end of the video- even after shooting so inconsistently - most of those shooters STILL were not honest with themselves as to their true effective range. That "guide's" lack of self-awareness was stunning.

Based on what I saw, they ALL need to invest in more time and ammunition training to get their skill levels up.

Until they do that- NONE of those guys has any business shooting at a live big game animal past 300 yards if they are trully interested in a clean, humane kill.

Last edited by jk16; 04/14/24.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jk16
The problem is at the end of the video- even after shooting so inconsistently - most of those shooters STILL were not honest with themselves as to their true effective range. That "guide's" lack of self-awareness was stunning.

Based on what I saw, they ALL need to invest in more time and ammunition training to get their skill levels up.

Until they do that- NONE of those guys has any business shooting at a live big game animal past 300 yards if they are trully interested in a clean, humane kill.

Undoubtedly Mr Harm is getting a ton of “feedback” from viewers claiming they could do better, and there should be a second Milk Jug Challenge.

If there is another Milk Jug Challenge, my prediction is it will be quite humbling to the next batch of confident long range shooters.

Mr Harm is probably figuring out how to really monetize this…..

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The milk jug challenge is lame

The milk jug challenge captivates the wonder of the crowd who, as stick would say, haven’t made enough spent primers to even fill a thimble

Go to your local club’s precision match

Go to your local club’s F-class match

Go to a PRS or Practial Rifle Match

At any of these gatherings, you will get to the reality of things in a hurry

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

The milk jug challenge captivates the wonder of the crowd who, as stick would say, haven’t made enough spent primers to even fill a thimble

My sportsmans club doesn't have any of that. They have a 100 yard range chopped through the woods with one bench that I have to myself 95% of the time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
City Boy Clubs... laugh

As mentioned:
LR roving steel matches, PRS, NRL, F-Class (F-Open or F-TR) and the like.
You may have to travel a bit but there are shooting opportunities.
It may take some effort, but find a place where you can set up some portable steel targets or paper targets at different distances. Find a friend and just the two of you shoot against each other for precision and time is a fun, and can be enlightening.

After we did some drop confirmations earlier, Dan decided to challenge me for time and hits on 5 10" steel targets at: 400, 496, 575, 645, and 673 yards. We called impacts and corrections for each other.
That day were were shooting the 130 ELD-M's @2532 fps. A far cry from a speedster.
The first video will give you what my portable targets look like and what the 6.5x47 Lapua, Kauger Arms Black Widow looks like...The targets are nothing special, but they work fine. Dan went first.
When I shot, Dan videoed me shooting, but you can't really see much, since it was just a cell phone. You cannot hear all of the impacts. We had a wind from our left at about 10mph. It was fairly consistent, most of the time.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H

My sportsmans club doesn't have any of that. They have a 100 yard range chopped through the woods with one bench that I have to myself 95% of the time.

I'd still like to know how you know you tracked a deer 10Mi in a day?

And, just for future reference you might find this handy. Did you know bees and dogs can smell fear?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

It’s the reality of hunting we’re referring to. The efficacy of RF’s, doping the wind without wind flags, seemed to present challenges those guys weren’t prepared for.

There’s a ton of people who are every bit as confident as those guys probably were that believe they could do better.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Assuming I'd use a rifle/load I'd actually hunt big game with, I'd be up for trying the challenge, but, I'd only want to shoot about 20 rounds then I'd want a significant break. 7#-9# "big game" rifles without a break have enough recoil that my form and concentration suffer. Others may be perfectly capable of way more shooting/recoil/muzzle-blast, I'm just stating one of the parameters I'd need to have up front.

I've got a 16# 243AI I use for F-Class that I know I can shoot reasonably well for 50+ rounds in an afternoon, but, that sort of defeats the purpose of the whole "600yd Hunting Rifle" portion of the challenge because I'm not carrying that thing very far, nor can I shoot it off-hand worth a darn.

Last edited by horse1; 04/16/24.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
It’s amazing that what we see with our eyes, in what appears to be very real world testing of first round hits on the vital area, doesn’t apply to us somehow.
My expectation is that if this kind of contest were continued many times over, the hit percentages would not change much.

We are free to hunt and shoot as we prefer but the facts are built with either hits or misses.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Not much point carrying a phone into places with no cell service. I got all the proof of my marksmanship abilities I needed on the firing lines of the many local, state and regional competitions I participated in.

FYI, you can still take photos without cell service.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H

You're quite vocal about no phone or camera on your person. How about a GPS, I'm still curious about the tracking deer 10Mi/day. How do you know you went 10Mi trailing deer?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My sportsmans club doesn't have any of that. They have a 100 yard range chopped through the woods with one bench that I have to myself 95% of the time.[/quote]

Sounds like a blast lmao.
That'd get old in about 5 minutes.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

You're quite vocal about no phone or camera on your person. How about a GPS, I'm still curious about the tracking deer 10Mi/day. How do you know you went 10Mi trailing deer?

BlackTart is a Lying Piece Of CLUELESS Fhuqking Schit. Hint.

Fortunately for her,Imagination and Pretend are free,so she can "afford" to "contribute". She is a MAGNIFICENT Professional Victim. Hint...............

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Lmao.
Everybody is a lying piece of clueless.........according to stack.
But he's right most of the time.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 257Bob

Oh wow. You blew up the internet in upstate NY.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

He will argue that fact with you.

As long as he can disagree about the way someone does something he will.

You could say you're doing something the same way he does but he will argue with you about your methods.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fury01
It’s amazing that what we see with our eyes, in what appears to be very real world testing of first round hits on the vital area, doesn’t apply to us somehow.
My expectation is that if this kind of contest were continued many times over, the hit percentages would not change much.

We are free to hunt and shoot as we prefer but the facts are built with either hits or misses.
There exist many shooters that are competent making shots on game at 600+ yards, depending on conditions and other variables. The participants they chose to showcase in the milk jug challenge do not appear to fit in that category.

The challenge should be adapted to reflect the good judgement of seasoned LR shooters. Truly capable shooters can recognize conditions in which they would not take a shot on a BG animal. If the intent is to approximate BG field shooting, the challenge should offer the option to take the shot at each jug, given the conditions at the time, where a hit is +1 point, and a miss is -5 points. Highest cumulative score wins.

1 member likes this: Wrongside
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I am not a seasoned long range hunter but have done a fair amount of longish range shooting. I'm fairly aware of my capabilities. One thing I can say for certain, if one does enough shooting to really know the limits of his rifle and himself, he can do some surprisingly consistent shooting. My first shots, at known ranges out to 900m, were usually bulls or "V"s.
I can consistently make good shots (heart/lung) on the M-S pigs at 300m, with my hunting rifles, from an unsupported sitting position. From the same position, without dialing, I cannot regularly make first shot clean hits on the rams. So, I'll shoot game at 300, but won't at 500. That's just me. By the way, I'm sad to say, I cannot hit anywhere near that consistently offhand, so my silhouette scores are not so great.
Ultimately, I confine verification of my long range abilities to the target range and that's not part of my hunting experience. Again, that's just me. GD

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have a visiting pard,who has never shot past 100yds. Once done with Casting this morning,I set him up with my Accuracy International AT-X wearing it's 7" RPM K&P 'Dasher spout,with .620 BC 112's at 2820fps and single digit SD/ES. I gave him a wind call(half value) and he was within 1/2" of his aiming point at 650yds,on a rifle he'd never shot(had him dry fire the two-stage trigger 3x) and he blew his own fhuqking mind. Arca 'pod up front and rear fist under stern,from a tree stump,not 30 minutes ago. Hint.

BlackTart has NEVER even "seen" Good Riggin',let alone "shot" same and her Brokedicktitude precludes an opportunity to do so. Hint.............

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Some people don't get around very much and think their way is the only way. What's the odds of someone killing a prairie goat while sneaking around still hunting with a 30/30?

Life is good live it while you can.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Some people don't get around very much and think their way is the only way. What's the odds of someone killing a prairie goat while sneaking around still hunting with a 30/30?
My grandpa only used an iron sighted 30/30 to shoot antelope!

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I tried to watch it but the feminine pretty boy with the creepy smile just ruins it for me.

Last edited by mjbgalt; 04/16/24.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
My grandpa only used an iron sighted 30/30 to shoot antelope!
Pfft, my great great gram pappy used to shoot em with a .54 and patched round balls. He only had 1 leg too.

Try standing on one leg and getting a speed goat kilt from the standing position.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The backfire guy is a skinny-fat beta male

It used to puzzle me as to why there are so many fat people making videos like this, until it occurred to me that a large number of their audience don't see that guy as fat. I did try to watch the video but couldn't get past the first competitor introduction, a morbidly obese guy.

It really is amazing how bad things have gotten that anyone takes people like that as capable of anything other than collapsing a chair.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Stickfight
The backfire guy is a skinny-fat beta male

It used to puzzle me as to why there are so many fat people making videos like this, until it occurred to me that a large number of their audience don't see that guy as fat. I did try to watch the video but couldn't get past the first competitor introduction, a morbidly obese guy.

It really is amazing how bad things have gotten that anyone takes people like that as capable of anything other than collapsing a chair.

Yeah, the Four(4) Burpees was telling.

Ha!

GR

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
JFC! heavier people not capable of anything.

Eric Cortina is a bit puffy wouldn't ya think? Just a frealkin national champion is all. Maybe he won all his titles before dinner. crazy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Erik just won the Texas state F-Open match (5th time he has done this) about a week ago.
1000 yards.
Not A Hunting Rifle...

X-Ring is 5" in diameter - 20 shot strings.
10 Ring is 10" in diameter.
Shooting from the prone position.

199-8X, 198-8X, 198-12X, 200-12X, 198-11X = 993-51X
Phenomenal shooting!

Second place was 988-45X

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Be Wary, Wary Quiet, woor hunting Milk Wugs laugh

I have decided to take the Milk Jug Challenge. I have never done a video before so making a video with a spotting scope will be the most challenging aspect of this challenge.

You can attach your cell phone to a spotting scope to film long-range shooting, so I purchased a Gosky 20-60x80 Spotting Scope and Tripod, as shown below, a picture of the system I am using to film my challenge with an exploding milk jug photo on my cell phone because that is what I expect to see. cool

I will also do a video out to 800 yards later this summer. The target I will set up at 800 yards when I do that will be 25” x 25”. I will post that video as well. I look forward to seeing the groups I get @ 800 yards.

I will be shooting my Weatherby .300 Win Mag, topped with my Huskemaw Blue Diamond 5-20x50, the same scope the guide used. Ammunition, off-the-shelf Nosler Trophy Grade Accubond Long Range Cartridges in 190 gr.

Good luck to all who participate in this challenge.

Last edited by KillerBee; 04/27/24.

KB

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

WTF would I want to take photos for ? I'm out there to collect meat, not try to impress idiots on the internet with in the field hero pics.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Sounds like a blast lmao.
That'd get old in about 5 minutes.[/quote] Leave your crutches {bench, rests, bi pods} out of it and 100 yards is plenty for offhand practice. Much more relevant to success in these woods where you'll seldom get a shot farther than that. I don't consider somebody a good shot if they need a rest to hit anything and that covers 99% of the people I see at the range. You can't pry their asses away from the bench because they know they can't hit anything without it.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Have a visiting pard,who has never shot past 100yds. Once done with Casting this morning,I set him up with my Accuracy International AT-X wearing it's 7" RPM K&P 'Dasher spout,with .620 BC 112's at 2820fps and single digit SD/ES. I gave him a wind call(half value) and he was within 1/2" of his aiming point at 650yds,on a rifle he'd never shot(had him dry fire the two-stage trigger 3x) and he blew his own fhuqking mind. Arca 'pod up front and rear fist under stern,from a tree stump,not 30 minutes ago. Hint.

BlackTart has NEVER even "seen" Good Riggin',let alone "shot" same and her Brokedicktitude precludes an opportunity to do so. Hint.............
What this little retard is saying is that pretty much anybody can shoot good from a solid rest given the proper equipment. I don't disagree.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
BlackTart would need a fhuqking co-signer for the muzzle tape alone. Hint.

Fortunately for her,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even she can "afford" to "contribute" by DREAMING aloud. Hint.

She has NEVER even "seen" Good Riggin',let alone shot same and her Brokedicktitude precludes an opportunity to do so. Hint.

Typical "slow" day yesterday. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H

Any further comment regarding that 10Mi/day tracking job?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Be Wary, Wary Quiet, woor hunting Milk Wugs laugh

I have decided to take the Milk Jug Challenge. I have never done a video before so making a video with a spotting scope will be the most challenging aspect of this challenge.

You can attach your cell phone to a spotting scope to film long-range shooting, so I purchased a Gosky 20-60x80 Spotting Scope and Tripod, as shown below, a picture of the system I am using to film my challenge with an exploding milk jug photo on my cell phone because that is what I expect to see. cool

I will also do a video out to 800 yards later this summer. The target I will set up at 800 yards when I do that will be 25” x 25”. I will post that video as well. I look forward to seeing the groups I get @ 800 yards.

I will be shooting my Weatherby .300 Win Mag, topped with my Huskemaw Blue Diamond 5-20x50, the same scope the guide used. Ammunition, off-the-shelf Nosler Trophy Grade Accubond Long Range Cartridges in 190 gr.

Good luck to all who participate in this challenge.

That's too much spotter weight on that tripod for good video. You're going to want either a better tripod, or, you're going to have to have a very solid surface, hang significant weight off the center hook, and have that tripod in it's shortest position, which will then require a shooting spot that allows for video to work with the tripod that low.

If you've got a place where you can shoot prone but have the spotter/tripod above you on a cement-top bench table or the like it might work OK so long as there's not a lot of wind to wiggle the optic.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the heads-up horse1.

I have never owned or even used a spotting scope or tripod since I do not hunt sheep.

I bought this one because of the price $200.00 CDN, knowing full well at the price it was far from the best. The Tripod cost me $60.00 and had many great reviews. I didn't want to spend lots because all I will use it for after making the video is to check out ladies suntanning in a bikini on our lake laugh

The tripod seems pretty sturdy, but I understand what you are saying. How much weight would you use to anchor it?

If I keep it low and un-extended, maybe that will work best? This is it un-extended.

Cheers ~

Last edited by KillerBee; 04/27/24.

KB

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Any further comment regarding that 10Mi/day tracking job?
Ten miles is just a guess and probably on the conservative side.

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
No dog in this fight but 10 miles a day isn’t uncommon, especially when they are zigging and zagging and running between doe groups. They are bastards that way

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I have never owned or even used a spotting scope or tripod since I do not hunt sheep.

I bought this one because of the price $200.00 CDN, knowing full well at the price it was far from the best. The Tripod cost me $60.00 and had many great reviews. I didn't want to spend lots because all I will use it for after making the video is to check out ladies suntanning in a bikini on our lake laugh

The tripod seems pretty sturdy, but I understand what you are saying. How much weight would you use to anchor it?

If I keep it low and un-extended, maybe that will work best? This is it un-extended.

Cheers ~

Get a 35 lb dumbell

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

Cheers ~

Get a 35 lb dumbell

Why does alwaysatwat’s mom have big biceps?

From raising a dumbell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This was hard to watch. My first impression is that this is click-bait and the Backfire channel is just at it to cash in. Secondly, these guys don't know what they don't know and have no business killing animals beyond about 200 yards; even the "guide".

Some realistic observations:

One won't take 100 shots in a sitting in an actual hunt. One can say you shoot 100 yards in a day or two at a match, but that isn't done with a .300 Winchester Magnum. Recoil causes fatigue.

The lightweight hunting barrels being used will have wandering point of impact after two to three rounds, but the "challenge" requires repeated shots.

Second, the "realistic hunting situations" doesn't account for the hunter can be confident in his shot or he has the option to not take it.

Third, most of the rifles and optics are not capable rifles for the situations presented. Custom rifles and better optics are paramount for "long range hunting".

The ammunition being used is not consistent enough for "long range hunting". I don't recall seeing anything but box-fodder.

Milk jugs on or near the ground are harder to range than an actual animal.

Animals create for fluid situations.

The zone of a lethal shot is larger than a milk jug; many of the near misses would lead to fatal shots.

None of the shooters were using support effectively.

At the end of the day, this is a poor representation of actual people that hunt and practice at range.

I suppose at the end of the day, the shooting is representative of the average person captivated by "Backfire TV".

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I would be pretty happy if I could lay across my pack with my kimber montana 6.5 cm make a first shot hit on a milk jug at 500 yds. Never tried it.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Calvin
I would be pretty happy if I could lay across my pack with my kimber montana 6.5 cm make a first shot hit on a milk jug at 500 yds. Never tried it.

I'd be peeved if I couldn't, assuming atmospherics were such that I'd be inclined to shoot an antelope, deer, etc @ that distance. Varmints don't count.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by drop_point
One won't take 100 shots in a sitting in an actual hunt. One can say you shoot 100 yards in a day or two at a match, but that isn't done with a .300 Winchester Magnum. Recoil causes fatigue..

That's the real rub for me on the whole deal. Anything that I hunt big-game with recoils enough that I wouldn't want to shoot it 50 times in a day, let alone 100. Even an 8#-9# 243Win/6Creed would get to be a great plenty as you closed in on 50 rounds.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Calvin

I'd be peeved if I couldn't, assuming atmospherics were such that I'd be inclined to shoot an antelope, deer, etc @ that distance. Varmints don't count.

My milk gallon jugs are only 6” wide. Not sure if they vary in size in different regions.

Aim at the center and you have 3” of wiggle room on either side. On a first shot scenario, it would be tough to account for any wind, less than solid rest, and normal group dispersion at 500 yds. But my mountain rifle is only .75 on a good day so I am sure someone smarter than I can tell me if it’s even possible to make consistent hits with a .75” rifle at 500 yds.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That Marine in the challenge, was guaranteed to fail after his first shot. He scopes himself on the first shot and is bleeding like s stuck pig, man did I laugh! Yep a real expert.

100 shots with a .300 Win Mag without a Muzzle Break, ya right. Also, he did not have a backrest for his stock, red flags everywhere!

I am doing the challenge with my .300 Win Mag, I don't have a muzzle break on it so I will not be taking back-to-back shots, without taking a break. In real-life hunting situations, it's 1 and done.

Last edited by KillerBee; 04/28/24.

KB

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
One won't take 100 shots in a sitting in an actual hunt. One can say you shoot 100 yards in a day or two at a match, but that isn't done with a .300 Winchester Magnum. Recoil causes fatigue..

That's the real rub for me on the whole deal. Anything that I hunt big-game with recoils enough that I wouldn't want to shoot it 50 times in a day, let alone 100. Even an 8#-9# 243Win/6Creed would get to be a great plenty as you closed in on 50 rounds.

I didn't see the 100 rounds in a day as something intended to be a hunting simulation. I saw it as a test of the shooter's ability in various field conditions.

But yeah, 100 rounds of 300WinMag, sporter weight rifle, no brake, no rear bag, getting scoped on the first shot, and a 100 yard zero, that was not........what could possibly go wrong (grin).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I didn't see the 100 rounds in a day as something intended to be a hunting simulation. I saw it as a test of the shooter's ability in various field conditions.

But yeah, 100 rounds of 300WinMag, sporter weight rifle, no brake, no rear bag, getting scoped on the first shot, and a 100 yard zero, that was not........what could possibly go wrong (grin).

You aren't really testing their ability is my biggest gripe. The barrel is going to be hot causing flyers, the barrel is going to likely have major fouling which degrades accuracy, and the shooter is going to become recoil shy. You're right, what could go wrong?

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M

You aren't really testing their ability is my biggest gripe. The barrel is going to be hot causing flyers, the barrel is going to likely have major fouling which degrades accuracy, and the shooter is going to become recoil shy. You're right, what could go wrong?

All true. And the shooter chose the rifle knowing what the course of fire would consist of. That in itself tells a lot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

All true. And the shooter chose the rifle knowing what the course of fire would consist of. That in itself tells a lot.

Exactly! But that seems to be the demographic Backfire TV is going for.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M

From what I understand, 'Mike the Marine' was trolling one of Backfire's vids or podcasts, boasting himself up. Backfire said OK, come on out to Utah then, and let's see what you got.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

From what I understand, 'Mike the Marine' was trolling one of Backfire's vids or podcasts, boasting himself up. Backfire said OK, come on out to Utah then, and let's see what you got.

The only thing 'Mike the Marine' proved is that Trolls are a pain in the azz and, liars and Loud Mouthed Snooks. laugh

Last edited by KillerBee; 04/28/24.

KB

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M

The only thing 'Mike the Marine' proved is that Trolls are a pain in the azz and, loud mouth Snooks lol.

As a retired Marine myself, I found that video of 'Mike' to be both embarrassing, and hilarious, at the same time. Especially when he scoped himself on the first shot of the day.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Maybe some should on to the YouTube page or social media, and makes the case that whole set-up is rigged to fail, and that is not how LR hunter would approach things...

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Maybe some should on to the YouTube page or social media, and makes the case that whole set-up is rigged to fail, and that is not how LR hunter would approach things...

I might be interested in the challenge if I were also able to say:

"In these conditions, I wouldn't take that shot."

That might mean too much wind or inability to adequately dope the wind between you and the target due to geographical features, obvious swirls, etc. Additionally, that might mean that one can't make the shot from the position allowed, and/or can't get into a suitably steady position in the time allowed.

There's a big difference between being fast/expedient and being rushed. While I like to think of myself as fairly efficient/expedient, rushed pretty much never works out for me.

1 member likes this: Wrongside
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M

That might mean too much wind or inability to adequately dope the wind between you and the target due to geographical features, obvious swirls, etc. Additionally, that might mean that one can't make the shot from the position allowed, and/or can't get into a suitably steady position in the time allowed.

There's a big difference between being fast/expedient and being rushed. While I like to think of myself as fairly efficient/expedient, rushed pretty much never works out for me.

That's a huge part of ethical long-range hunting. Knowing when to not take the shot.

Putting a time-limit on a sketchy LR shot on a milk jug is one thing. On game, it's unethical.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

That's a huge part of ethical long-range hunting. Knowing when to not take the shot.

Putting a time-limit on a sketchy LR shot on a milk jug is one thing. On game, it's unethical.
Exactly, Shane. That's why I mentioned this earlier:

Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
The challenge should be adapted to reflect the good judgement of seasoned LR shooters. Truly capable shooters can recognize conditions in which they would not take a shot on a BG animal. If the intent is to approximate BG field shooting, the challenge should offer the option to take the shot at each jug, given the conditions at the time, where a hit is +1 point, and a miss is -5 points. Highest cumulative score wins.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve only watched the first video so far,
100 shots in a .300 mag? GLWT
I would have stopped after the first twenty shots and saved the ammo, He was in way over his head,
Perfect example of typical internet bravado in the shooters original claim to fame,
And another perfect example of how a mag caliber means little regarding accuracy or killing power, A hit is a hit, and a miss is a miss.

#humblepie

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I agree 100%

This rule should apply in all hunting conditions:

Ask yourself "Can I make this shot", if you are hesitant to give yourself an answer, don't take the shot, because you probably can't!

Personally, I would never take a shot that was iffy in my mind. I hate wounding an animal, even a duck or a goose.

I only kill what I enjoy eating. After all of the years of hunting I have done, I have concluded that animals and birds have as much right to live as I do. I guess the older you get your perspectives change.

I stopped killing bears and ducks for that reason.

Last edited by KillerBee; 04/29/24.

KB

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Gimme a life-size coyote steel target and I’ll shoot at it in any conditions. I’ll also be shooting a rifle in a chambering and package in which recoil fatigue won’t be an issue. I’m far less concerned w/“where” Inhir a coyote, just “if” I hit it or not.

1:8 22-250 shooting 75’s or 1:7 22Creed shooting 75’s or 88’s. I’m just fine w/a 10x max scope.

Last edited by horse1; 04/29/24.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
horse1, this is a picture of the Tripod retracted with the SS on it, I doubt if there will be any instability issues, don't need weights.

This is the rifle I will be using for the challenge. I put a bipod on it today. When in Rome laugh

Cheers ~

Last edited by KillerBee; 04/30/24.

KB

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Looks good buddy! There’s worse things to do with your time than shoot for fun and familiarize yourself with new toys. 😉

I look forward to your results with this challenge.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
One of my favorite ways to practice is water filled Gatorade bottles or milk jugs. I took a friend from grad school out on the Utah desert once to shoot quart Gatorade bottles at longer ranges, out to almost 600 yards, about 20 years ago. I was shooting a particularly accurate 300 wsm I had worked over and it was a calm day, prone with a bipod and rear bag.

That shoot cost me a rifle. When we were dine my friend turned to me and said name your price but I have to have this rifle. I sold it for what I was in it. He couldn't believe he hit a quart bottle at over 500. He still has the rifle and just sent me a picture of the bull he shot last year with it.

Now that I'm older I prefer gallon jugs. I don't shoot as much as I used to and have lost my wind reading skills so quart bottles past 400 are tougher targets than they used to be.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 05/01/24.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I just watched a video where Eric Cortina said he doesn't believe he can do it. He's going to try but doesn't think he can hit all 100 jugs and doesn't believe anybody can.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wonder if I can hit a milk jug

😂

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have high confidence with you, even under time and pressure

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BH,
Like I said before, it is rigged to fail.
The videos have been fun to watch, but it is not how a LR hunter would approach things. LR hunting is a systems approach, and not about distance alone, but a multitude of factors (wind, it's direction(s), is it gusting and if so what is the gust variance {is the terrain/wind} going affect my shot), how good of field rest do I have, I may be to physically wiped out to make the shot, and the list goes on) of whether one decides to shoot or not shoot. Because of those factors, plus the time frame, having to shoot from specific rests, milk jug narrower than common game vitals, and 100 rounds, makes this whole challenge one that is rigged to fail. My guess is for one to clean this course, you are going to need really good shooter and great conditions, more time, and better choices of field rests. It will also likely take a gun that is custom and is easy to shoot (not beat up the shooter) well from awkward positions, and will hold its accuracy for 100 rounds with sustained firing.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Gimme a life-size coyote steel target and I’ll shoot at it in any conditions. I’ll also be shooting a rifle in a chambering and package in which recoil fatigue won’t be an issue. I’m far less concerned w/“where” Inhir a coyote, just “if” I hit it or not.

1:8 22-250 shooting 75’s or 1:7 22Creed shooting 75’s or 88’s. I’m just fine w/a 10x max scope.

would love to see solid hits at 1500-1800 yards with your "recoil less" rifles

and if there's any energy left to punch paper much less kill a coyote

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Swamplord

would love to see solid hits at 1500-1800 yards with your "recoil less" rifles

and if there's any energy left to punch paper much less kill a coyote

Me too. But, that wasn't the subject of the thread. The subject is 100 1Gal jugs out to 600yds. Impetus being that a 1Gal jug approximates the vitals on a deer. I also stated previously that were I to be in the "challenge" I'd not be opposed to saying, "I can't make that shot reliably in these conditions.", again, assuming we're approximating Big Game.

The mention of the coyote target I thought was implied as a substitute for the 1Gal jugs out to 600yds. Also earlier on in the thread I stated that right or wrong, I only care "if" I hit a varmint, not necessarily as concerned about vitals or needing follow-up shots vs. big game.

1250yds is as far as I've ever shot steel. I was using my 19# 30" bbl 7WSM shooting 162 A-max's @ just under 3400fps. That's not a rifle I'd "hunt" with though and the whole idea behind the thread was "hunting rifles" @ 600yds. 1500-1800 yds, the rifle/scope/ammo package is certainly capable, I'd like to think I could figure it out, but, I've 100% never done it.

I don't like muzzle-brakes, therefore, I don't have any.

I also stated earlier that I don't have a rifle I'd carry afield for big game that I'd be capable of shooting accurately for 100rds in a single day.

There are lots of people who can and do do all sorts of things I can't, but wish I could. I suspect I'll go on living and it won't even ruin my day.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
This whole thread reminds me of the arguments between the gamers and the martial artist in the early days of the SWPL. So if we are honest what can we do with the rifle we hunt with under field conditions on demand and how to test this ability. The real problem is how to make it repeatable is we want to judge our results against others with out setting up a test that encourages "gaming" Lots of critique very few ideas.

Elevation is math
Windage is Voodoo
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
What it boils down to is the FACT that regardless of cartridge/rifle/bullet/scope/muzzle brake or not .....

600 yards isn't even "long range" so all the bs is just that

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
However, according to some people, shooting at an animal over 200 yards is unethical, because its too far out there shocked

Last edited by KillerBee; 05/04/24.

KB

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
However, according to some people, shooting at an animal over 200 yards is unethical, because its too far out there shocked
ya, unethical for them because they're the stupid bastids that lived out their lives and never learned how to shoot properly

not much you can do with stupid, other than bury it with them when they die

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (10Glocks, 1minute, 1234, 222Sako, 007FJ, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,071 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,778
Posts18,495,871
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.