G
Help them.

Retired cat herder.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
You are not here in this world to build the portfolio, amass riches, buy a new RV, summer cabin, boat, vehicle, go to Europe, sit in the front row at the ball game.... contrary to what many believe.

You are here to advance the next generation and that responsibility doesn't go away until you are dead... not at 18.... contrary to what many believe.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My daughter and grand daughter moved back in with us after she dumped her dumb @$$ hubby. I would not have it any other way. My daughter does not want to stay with us and when times get better we will expect her to move out. but for now, she is at home. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Well, a daughter is a precious thing, even if she is an adult with issues; not to mention a granddaughter who is an innocent victim of all her parents misjudgements. Let her in with your wife's blessing--hopefully, but with limits, parameters, and responsibilities too. She must "carry her weight" but that little one needs stability.

That's my view with two adult daughters.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know the circumstance is slightly different, but in the Good Ol' Days, you lived with your parents until you married.

Besides, if you can't count on family, what do you really have in this life?

Islam is a terrorist organization.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Give her a hard berth for a few months, no more than six, if she hasn't found a job by then give her $500.00 and kick her out and change the locks.

You do grown children no favor by "enabling" them.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by okok
Originally Posted by Huntz
Make sure she understands what you expect from her.Type up an agreement and have her sign it.Stick to what you agree to.I went through the same thing with my Daughter and my Grandson.My daughter had a job and payed me room and board.She wanted to save money to buy her own house.She stayed with us for 6 years and obeyed house rules.When she said she had enough money to make a good down payment on a house,she moved out.I gave her a check for all the room and board she gave us.She would not have got it if she did not keep her word.

6 years? Not on my watch. .02

Truth is that I enjoyed having her there.Our relationship had a big turning point when she came home.She was a completely different person than she was in High School.I bonded with my Grandson ,and he is more like one of my boys now.He is 19 now and a great kid.My daughter is remarried has 5 kids and has a stable family man for a husband.I would say everything worked out.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by krp

You are here to advance the next generation and that responsibility doesn't go away until you are dead... not at 18.... contrary to what many believe.

Kent

^^^THIS!

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pregnancy: Fail
Job: Fail
Marriage: Fail
Losing 'independent status' and moving in with Mom: Fail
Mother/Daughter relationship: Fail

????

Yepper, she's responsible for that miscarriage, she never shoulda let it happen, same thing with the failed marriage and drunk and abusive mom.....

Some people get slapped upside the head by life is all.

Of course, cream rises to the top, what counts is what she does now. And there's a clear point been made in this thread that there is a grandaughter involved.

Early developmental years are critical, by the time they hit the Middle School years the damage has been done, THAT kid needs a stable and secure environment, if its with grandma and the other grandma, so be it.

Krp nailed it, life ain't about being comfortable, its about meeting responsibilities.

The daughter coming home doesn't mean "enabling", that all depends on the behavior of all parties involved.

It does seem in our society the emphasis for a couple of generations (since WWII???) was "moving out", wherein in most places and over most of human history extended family househods are/were the norm.

I will say, knowing many dozens of 18 year-olds at graduation and often for years afterwards, getting out of the house and getting your own place ain't nearly as easy today as it was back in the 70's.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Birdwatcher,

I don't think that Jog meant that those things were true failures, but that the daughter may feel that way about them.

Like an accident that wasn't your fault, you keep replaying the event, and wondering what you could have done differently.

Plinker,

If I needed to go home, I would see it as a safe harbor, a place to get things together until I was able to get back out and hack it on my own. I'd be grateful for the respite but I wouldn't want to stay longer than necessary. Good luck.

Support your local brewer.
IC B3

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Pregnancy: Fail
Job: Fail
Marriage: Fail
Losing 'independent status' and moving in with Mom: Fail
Mother/Daughter relationship: Fail

????

Yepper, she's responsible for that miscarriage, she never shoulda let it happen, same thing with the failed marriage and drunk and abusive mom.....

Did you miss this part?:

Originally Posted by jog
Whether or not any of these failures are your daughter's fault doesn't change the outcome.

I've had plenty of failures in my life. Except for guilt, the experience is the same whether they were my fault or not. My point is the cycle has to stop, and that setting up the daughter and granddaughter in their own place might be a better option than 'in the basement at Dad's house'.

My point of reference is one of my own daughters that flunked out of college. She was plenty smart enough, she just didn't do the work - party life and all that. She lived off campus with a bunch of smart, boring according to my daughter, fellow students. The college did offer the possibility of reinstatement provided she first ramp up her work ethic and GPA someplace else. Once the reality of the situation hit home my daughter was devastated. Having the daughter move home was tempting, but rather than compound the failures my wife and I decided to pay her living expenses if she worked to get on track. An unforeseen bonus of the arrangement was my daughter, from her new perspective, witnessed what it took for college students to succeed in spite of all the temptations. It took a year, but in the end the daughter was reinstated and graduated a couple years later.

Was it my wife's and my decision that pulled this off? I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't do anything different next time.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by .280Rem
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

^^^THIS!

I am in agreement; one thing I have learned is you are never finished being a parent and that doesn't mean an enabler. Your kids are still your kids at 35 except their problems are now also adult sized.

My experience and view is your input grows exponentially more complex but still as important paralleling their age. Does that make sense? Well, I knew what I meant? grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like she needs more help then just a place to sleep. Not saying that you shouldn't take care of your daughter, just really look into getting her help and don't enable her to keep making bad decisions.

I couldn't imagine turning my back on my kids, whatever the situation. Then again, I couldn't personally imagine moving back home, but you do what you have to do.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by okok
Make sure she understands what you expect from her.Type up an agreement and have her sign it.Stick to what you agree to.I went through the same thing with my Daughter and my Grandson.My daughter had a job and payed me room and board.She wanted to save money to buy her own house.She stayed with us for 6 years and obeyed house rules.When she said she had enough money to make a good down payment on a house,she moved out.I gave her a check for all the room and board she gave us.She would not have got it if she did not keep her word.

6 years? Not on my watch. .02

Truth is that I enjoyed having her there.Our relationship had a big turning point when she came home.She was a completely different person than she was in High School.I bonded with my Grandson ,and he is more like one of my boys now.He is 19 now and a great kid.My daughter is remarried has 5 kids and has a stable family man for a husband.I would say everything worked out.

Good to hear.

Last edited by okok; 07/23/10.

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They're blood kin,can't do anything but help..just sure they understand YOUR rules....

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'm not gonna read all the replies...here's my take

She's your child...may be grown, but she's still your child...
You'll feel like a first class $hit if you don't...

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A friend of mine (with 4 kids) has a rule: every time a kid moves out, my friend moves to a smaller house so they can't come back. smile

John

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by goodnews
Originally Posted by .280Rem
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

^^^THIS!

I am in agreement; one thing I have learned is you are never finished being a parent and that doesn't mean an enabler. Your kids are still your kids at 35 except their problems are now also adult sized.

My experience and view is your input grows exponentially more complex but still as important paralleling their age. Does that make sense? Well, I knew what I meant? grin

Agree 100%.

Needed help once myself, StepDad was ok with it! Divorced and lost job, found new job within 6 weeks. They helped me move out and everything was great. My Mom was always in my corner and willing to help. I was able to help her when she died of cancer, no home for her while I was standing and breathing!

With that in mind my children get the same from me! God blessed me with three (a boy and two girls) and I signed on for the duration! Blood is blood.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We love our kids unconditionally. If the day comes that they need to come back for a while, so be it. Those who would not allow this, or buy a smaller house to prevent this from happening, well, if that's your take on things, just remember that decision in a few years when your health is failing, but you really don't want to move into a nursing home. Kids are yours for a lifetime-not just for the first 18 years. Nothing wrong with some ground rules and a plan, but to just turn them out on the street, I couldn't do that.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jpb
A friend of mine (with 4 kids) has a rule: every time a kid moves out, my friend moves to a smaller house so they can't come back. smile

John

My brother breeds German Shorthairs and owns four personally. He calls the human members of his family "shorthair slots". He has one daughter left at home and also his wife - "slot 5 and slot 6". wink

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

464 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 48 invisible), 2,106 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,260
Posts18,504,811
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.