Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SuperCub
I shouldn't comment on that as I use the 257R the most.

Oh but the Roberts is a whole different animal and has the KOOL factor.

You know it's a totally different CALIBER !! whistle

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't shoot RNs in mine. wink

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
jwall,

Actually, Eleanor O'Connor chose the 7x57. Jack had one made for himself, but after Eleanor shot it she essentially said, "This one's mine." Jack eventually got another one built, which he used extensively toward the end of his life.

The cartridge he actually chose for Eleanor was the .257 Roberts, when they were living in Arizona. But she evidently wanted a little more zap when they moved to Idaho and could hunt elk every year.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by SuperCub
The 270 is CLEARLY heads and shoulders over the 7x57, esp with pointy bullets.

[Linked Image]

The 7x57 is kind of a dinosaur, so the RNs are a very fitting bullet to use in them.

[Linked Image]

This is a particularly vicious attack on my internet persona....

But I appreciate you going to the trouble of finding a 7x57, a dinosaur, and photographing them together.... wink

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
jwall,

Actually, Eleanor O'Connor chose the 7x57. Jack had one made for himself, but after Eleanor shot it she essentially said, "This one's mine." Jack eventually got another one built, which he used extensively toward the end of his life.

The cartridge he actually chose for Eleanor was the .257 Roberts, when they were living in Arizona. But she evidently wanted a little more zap when they moved to Idaho and could hunt elk every year.
When Eleanor was going to hunt Tigers in India,she had Lenard Brownell make her a .30-06,it was her "Big" gun. She also used it on Elephant using 220 gr Solids.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ingwe

But I appreciate you going to the trouble of finding a 7x57, a dinosaur, and photographing them together.... wink

Still quick, nice. cool

Anyway, it will not be old school RNs for the Kimber .300Savage. Remembered that when I first got it 150gr Nosler NBTs were showing promise, so after the Steelers took a thumping I loaded some up and made a quick trip to the range.

For a light rifle it shined with them and I have around 350. 130gr TTSXs will be saved for the .308Ws which already have loads worked up. Things are great.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by battue

Again, I didn't take offense to anything you or anyone else wrote on the subject.

Well there was one, but he was just pissing in the wind. wink

THIS ONE??

The 7x57 IS morally, intellectually, and panache-wise superior to all others. With or without RNs laugh grin

whistle grin

Careful, Ingwe learned how to call up bad mojo from all that time spent in Africa. He starts dancing with the snakes and it could get ugly.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Careful, Ingwe learned how to call up bad mojo from all that time spent in Africa. He starts dancing with the snakes and it could get ugly.

smile smile

Maybe THAT'S why his thong has SPOTS!! shocked whistle grin

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I use the 154 Hornady RN bullets in my 7mm-08, scary accurate and very deadly. When they were discontinued by Hornady, picked up a few hundred at a discount price. 100-150 yds is a long shot where we hunt

[Linked Image]

One with CLB and my youngest

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
jwall,

Now there you go...confusing my memory with FACTS. grin grin

I want to remember it My Way. laugh laugh

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by jwall

Maybe THAT'S why his thong has SPOTS!! shocked whistle grin

Some call them spots, some call them skid marks. Whatever works for you.... whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You are "Guaranteed" your shot is going to be 100yards and under on Whitetails.

I've seen the plan Jane Round Nose bullets often shoot amazingly well at 100 and they have an excellent track record for that kind of work. Yet the majority don't use them.

Why?

Really good question. My experience mirrors yours, Ive shot RNs and they invariably shoot well. Anyone who casts bullets will tell you the closer to cylindrical that they get, the better they shoot. ( Hence the use of full wadcutters for target shooting.)

They make pointy nose bullets? This is progress...........?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I have heard of these things. I don't know what the hell the world is coming to......

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I think they're called "spritzers," or at least that's what spell-check keeps calling them....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
More important than the type of bullet, can the user put it where it belongs?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
At 125yds 175 RN in a 7mag will body slam a big pa buck with a high shoulder shot like a pissed off hulk hogan... 20 yrs ago of course.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Battue -

Related to your o p, a sincere question.

What advantage/s do R N bullets have over 'spritzers' ?

The only two I can think of ?maybe? available, cheaper.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
I could reverse the question and ask what advantage a pointed bullet has over a RN at 100. (An original qualifier that many seem willing to ignore.)

Some good points have been addressed I.E. speed, penetration, etc. A RN has a large amount of exposed lead and at .300Savage speeds with the right weight-I'm thinking, but never used them in a .300Savage-they should open wide, not come apart, leave a large wound channel and have enough penetration to be more than adequate on Deer.

I haven't used them in years and didn't realize that the weight options have become so limited. I wouldn't want a 180gr for a .300Savage, but would have really liked to try a 150 for old times sake in an old time cartridge. That's about all the why I have.

Hoooooever, I liked NBTs even when many thought they were nothing more than a big bang with little push. Today's offerings of them have more push according to those who know, probably will give them a go.

Fired these six off yesterday. Still had a little light, but thought why take the chance of ruining some positive feelings. I'm sure the barrel gremlins were happy with me for some reason at 200, so I'll give them more than a little credit.

[Linked Image]

I know, the rifle and I are far from the 0.5 MOA Campfire standard. It's the burden I have to live with. frown

Last edited by battue; 09/09/13.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
battue -

First - good shooting.

Second - don't beg the question grin, which was yours.

Third - I'd agree per speed and penetration INSIDE 100 yds.

However I can tell you from experience of 'some' spitzers that'll do that at 'slow' speed.

What puts me in a different category is, and I'm serious, since 1987 where I've been hunting 50 - 400 yds. is more the norm. I have been a member of 2 deer leases and even when going to hunt in the woods, open terrain and longer shots
are always possible.

Even hunting where I did last yr. and again this yr. I mostly hunt in the woods but again more open terrain and longer shots are in the vicinity and possible.

This is the reason I can not see limiting myself, rifle, and load to 100 yds. That's in response to your ? about the benefit of pointy bullets. grin

Thanks
Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Well, if I had to stretch it some, I'm positive I would have had a little cushion. Not a 400yard one for sure, but 200 wouldn't have scared me. 335 is the furthest I've shot one and that was with a 7mm-08. A few have been around 200 and the vast majority 100 and under, so I would have been playing the odds on where I hunt and being realistic about my own abilities.

I much prefer close than far. The closer the better

Addition: If one beat me with distance, he beat me. Move on and either get closer or find another.

No question points win when there is big air and even a little wind.

Last edited by battue; 09/09/13.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 59 invisible), 2,630 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,516
Posts18,509,564
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.