I could reverse the question and ask what advantage a pointed bullet has over a RN at 100. (An original qualifier that many seem willing to ignore.)

Some good points have been addressed I.E. speed, penetration, etc. A RN has a large amount of exposed lead and at .300Savage speeds with the right weight-I'm thinking, but never used them in a .300Savage-they should open wide, not come apart, leave a large wound channel and have enough penetration to be more than adequate on Deer.

I haven't used them in years and didn't realize that the weight options have become so limited. I wouldn't want a 180gr for a .300Savage, but would have really liked to try a 150 for old times sake in an old time cartridge. That's about all the why I have.

Hoooooever, I liked NBTs even when many thought they were nothing more than a big bang with little push. Today's offerings of them have more push according to those who know, probably will give them a go.

Fired these six off yesterday. Still had a little light, but thought why take the chance of ruining some positive feelings. I'm sure the barrel gremlins were happy with me for some reason at 200, so I'll give them more than a little credit.

[Linked Image]

I know, the rifle and I are far from the 0.5 MOA Campfire standard. It's the burden I have to live with. frown

Last edited by battue; 09/09/13.

laissez les bons temps rouler