Originally Posted by battue
The partition is just one of many better bullets that pushed RNs off the page, and many of todays next best thangs are nipping at it.

I don't think the old RNs are the best there ever was. Nor do I lament all that much about them dying out. Nothing more than sometimes going back has it attractions.

I don't like most cup and cores, but I do like the Hornady RN's and the historic performance of Partitions can't be questioned. They have been getting it done every year since 1948....and are as universal a hunting bullet as it get's!

With us having killed several deer now with the 154's out of 7-08's, all I can say is that the bullet performance has been ridiculous. We are yet to catch one and "tracking" has been a 20 yard affair routinely (or less).

I have been trying to convince myself to try other bullets like TTSX, Amax, etc but then I get a cup of coffee and realize that evolution has not changed deer anatomy in the past 100 years and deer will be as easy to kill over the next 100 years.

Only in Texas do the deer have kevlar ribs which allow bullets from a .270 to bounce off....

My buddy and I have laid in a supply of Partitions in various weights and Hornady 154 RN that will last us a lifetime of deer and bear hunting in the Northeast woods. This given we are yet to kill a deer past 200 yards here.

And in my general experience over the years, any rifle that can't shoot Partitions and round nosers is pretty sick rifle.