Originally Posted by battue
You are "Guaranteed" your shot is going to be 100yards and under on Whitetails.

I've seen the plan Jane Round Nose bullets often shoot amazingly well at 100 and they have an excellent track record for that kind of work. Yet the majority don't use them.

Where I'm deer hunting locally from a tree stand, I'd be lucky to get 75 yards. I'll be using the 8mm 170 Hornady round noses. Near enough to the same POI and speed of the 175 Sierras load @100 yards and below.

Why?

I really dont know. I was rather upset when Sierra discontinued the 6.5mm 160 SMP. Here's the email reply;

Paul,

You are right - that was a great bullet. The trouble was, it did not sell.
When we made a run, it would take us years to sell it and that is taking up valuable floor space and capital. If a bullet does not pay for itself, then we have to let it go. As proof of this, we discontinued that bullet at the beginning of 2005 and did not sell the last of them until mid-2006. That was 5 1/2 years ago and we still have people that are just now noticing.

I am sorry, we loved all those SSP bullets, but they just did not sell. We needed that money and floor space for faster turning bullets.

We hung onto them longer than we probably should have, but we were hoping people would discover how great they were and buy more. It just did not happen.

Matt

Sierra Bullets

My unqualified 2 cents.

Last edited by Paulh; 09/06/13.